PDA

View Full Version : A9s, flopped a 4-flush

elitegimp
10-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

questions:
1) do any of you bet the flop here? The table had been full of calling stations, I wasn't expecting the raise at all (esp not from my immediate left).
2) do any of you fold to either the raise or the turn bet? I felt I had to see the turn, but was debating saving a bet by folding the turn.
3) do any of you go for the check-raise on the river? I was afraid of him checking through with the 3-flush and 3-straight on the board, plus I felt like I should put some money in the pot when I was ahead.

Gatts
10-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Depending on the table, I'll either check (and hope to trap for 2) or lead out. Folding before the river would be dumb.

ncboiler
10-17-2004, 11:04 PM
yes
no
no

banditdad
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes
no
no

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Every time.

witeknite
10-18-2004, 02:52 PM
With 5 people in, your flop bet was for value. Two callers is break even, and 3+ is making you money. Bummer about the guy to your left raising and making everyone call two cold. With you reads though, the flop bet was correct.

On the turn, you do have the odds to call. The only time I can think of that I would lay this down is if the board double-paired on the turn, making the odds of a full house to likely for me to call with the pot this small.

Definitly bet the river. If you are sure, sure, sure, that he will bet than a c/r might be in order. Otherwise, I take the more likely 1 BB than the small possibility of 2 BB's.

WiteKnite

TheHip41
10-18-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) do any of you bet the flop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every single time. If you get some callers to go along with you and the raiser, like 2-3, I'd 3-bet for value.

[ QUOTE ]
do any of you fold to either the raise or the turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

God no. Getting about 9-1 with the nut flush draw and 1 overcard, closing the action? Easiest call every.

Fold the turn?? Getting 5.5-1 to hit a 4-1 shot. Easy call.

[ QUOTE ]
do any of you go for the check-raise on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually bet this river and hope to get raised. If my opponenet was aggressive, then I'd check to him, knowing he'd bet. It's all player dependant. You shouldn't think about folding anywhere in this hand.

Entity
10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Anyone consider raising this preflop?

Otherwise, looks good. This flop isn't likely to have hit anyone hard, so I bet out and hope to get callers. Turn play is standard, and on the river, betting is best.

Rob

Chris Daddy Cool
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
you might consider raising preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
questions:
1) do any of you bet the flop here? The table had been full of calling stations, I wasn't expecting the raise at all (esp not from my immediate left).
2) do any of you fold to either the raise or the turn bet? I felt I had to see the turn, but was debating saving a bet by folding the turn.
3) do any of you go for the check-raise on the river? I was afraid of him checking through with the 3-flush and 3-straight on the board, plus I felt like I should put some money in the pot when I was ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. yes, bet the flop.
2. holy mother of all things holy. you can't possibly fold the turn. if you don't know why, you should really consider stop playing for a while and study a bit more.
3. betting or checkraising the river is player dependent. generally the more aggressive he is the more you should checkraise in these spots.

detruncate
10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
You might find this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=953936&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb =5&amp;o=) helpful. Don't sweat it. These concepts will be old hat before too long.

Anyone else know of a better pot odds/equity discussion? No sense going over the same ground each time these sorts of questions come up.

Jimbobobb
10-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Kind of along the same lines, I always enjoyed Abdul's guide to sucking out (http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/outs-abdul.html) .

Brain
10-18-2004, 10:10 PM
answers:
1)absolutely (if they're all calling stations)
2)no way &amp; no
3)I'd rather take the sure 1BB than try for a C/R

HajiShirazu
10-19-2004, 05:41 AM
I would raise preflop.
I would bet this flop always having raised preflop, and probably also here.
I would not fold anywhere in the hand, nor would I consider folding.
I think it is fairly likely that a C/R on the river would work.

Huhmare
10-19-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I check-raise this very rarely.. You simply lose one BB way too many times.. Only if you know your opponent won't call you, but will try to bluff, you might check here.. Except nobody tries to bluff with one bet at .5/1 if the pot is big