PDA

View Full Version : Rice to seahawks?

tolbiny
10-17-2004, 10:33 PM
A rumor I heard today has the seahawks interested in trading for Jerry Rice.
Gotta say this makes sense if they would give up a 5th rounder for him or so, as they really really need someone in there to teach those idiots that seattle calls recivers how to catch the ball.
Koren is averageing nearly 2 drops a game, and the rest of the team is probably averaging 2 as well.
If they had caught 2 or three of the balls that they dropped today they very well could have beaten the pats today. But the fact is they have been dropping the ball for the past 3 years, they need a new recievers coach, but failing that i think that Rice might have a chance at straightening them out before the end of the season.

As for the Raiders- they look terrible this year, picking up an extra draft pick for a guy who won't be there next year would be a good decision.

Dynasty
10-17-2004, 10:37 PM
The Seahawks have a deep wide receiver corp with Jackson, Robinson, and Engram. If Rice were traded for, he'd be the #3 wide reciever at best.

Rice isn't going to teach those guys how to catch by coming over in mid-season. That's something the coaching staff has to deal with.

Toro
10-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Peter King said the Raiders wouldn't insult Rice by trading him to someone for a 5th rounder. But after what I saw today with all the drops they sure could use him.

lastchance
10-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but Rice wouldn't drop the ball. They don't really need receivers as much as someone who can teach them to catch the damn ball.

DonWaade
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Seahawks have a deep wide receiver corp with Jackson, Robinson, and Engram. If Rice were traded for, he'd be the #3 wide reciever at best.

Rice isn't going to teach those guys how to catch by coming over in mid-season. That's something the coaching staff has to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have to do something. Way too many dropped passes this year (and last) it has cost them games. The Seahawks and their management have not been able to solve the problem in 2 plus years, what is the harm in trying Rice?

Dynasty
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...what is the harm in trying Rice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying Rice to do what? To get targeted 2-4 times a game?

The harm is whatever the Seahawks give up to get a 3rd, possible 4th, wide reciever for 10-11 games.

DonWaade
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Peter King said the Raiders wouldn't insult Rice by trading him to someone for a 5th rounder. But after what I saw today with all the drops they sure could use him.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this has been a plague for the Hawks for some time, and now because they are getting some national attention, it is being noticed by a larger forum (no pun intended). I am not sure if they can get Rice (or if they are even interested) but I think that he could be a great asset to a team that cleary needs help with receiving.

tolbiny
10-17-2004, 11:33 PM
God knows if he would help at all, but they need to address thier dropped pass problem. Someone like rice who has made a name for being sure handed might be able to set an example, or work on specific techniques for proper concerntrations or who knows what. Maybe just making the statement to their recievers that they are going to go out and get different recievers if they don't start catching the ball could be a boost.
That being said i wouldn't give up more than a 5th round pick for him, but i would think about it if he was available.

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 11:35 PM
I say pull the trigger on the deal. At the very least he could probably help these receivers out.

tolbiny
10-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Yeah, how long have the 'Hawks had reciever problems... i can think back the last three years, is it longer than that? What' with the coaching staff out there, all your players drop them.

Michael Davis
10-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Sorry, but let's be real here. Dynasty already pointed this out.

Jerry Rice is pretty close to a joke at this stage. Darrell Jackson and Koren Robinson are talented receivers who have a problem holding onto the ball. But you still have to get open, and this is something these guys can do and Rice cannot.

Bobby Engram is an underrated 3rd receiver. And Alex Bannister is young and has promise. I don't rate Rice as better than either of these last two guys and I know he is worse than Jackson/Robinson. If any changes should be made with the Seahawks, they should perhaps replace Robinson with the more reliable Engram.

I don't think anyone will trade for Jerry Rice because the simple truth is that he can't help anyone right now. He is behind Whitted and Gabriel on the depth chart. That should tell you something.

-Michael

Dynasty
10-18-2004, 08:16 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Seahawkss are close to trading for Jerry Rice.

It appears a big reason why this is going down is that Koren Robinson is facing a suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. The details of Robinson's situation are not clear.

Toro
10-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Well he gave himself away when he said that the Patriots weren't that good a team. The NFL must have said what the hell is this guy smoking?

nolanfan34
10-18-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well he gave himself away when he said that the Patriots weren't that good a team. The NFL must have said what the hell is this guy smoking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great line.

I wouldn't mind seeing Robinson gone for a few games, since he's been catching passes like he's doped up. Maybe in the huddle they should tell him they're throwing donuts.

vinnox
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Fox is reporting that Rice was traded to the Seahawks for a 7th round pick.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3091728)

lastchance
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, you get a Hall of Famer cheap.

Michael Davis
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
"Well, you get a Hall of Famer cheap."

Dick Butkus is on the waiver wire.

-Michael

bernie
10-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Just on the news. Traded for a 7th round pick. Word is a suspension is coming for Rob for substance abuse. If i was playing the way he was, i'd start doing it myself. The dork.

The hawks rec. corps sucks. Way overrated. The reason D-jac hasn't dropped as many is they aren't throwing his way as much. Engram's the only guy and he's 3rd down and slot. Other than that, who else do they have?

Both guys should be gone next season. Think of Hassles' numbers if he had some guys that could catch.

Playcalling is another issue. Love that run up the middle with about a min. left down by 2 scores. Fantastic call!!!

Also the wonderful 3 man rush on defense against the Pats. Way to put pressure on a top QB. Wonderful.

Now as far as the defensive line...

b

goofball
10-19-2004, 04:49 AM
if you can get jerry rice for that it seems almost negligent not to.

how many times is a seventh round pick going to do anything, ever.

Michael Davis
10-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Priest Holmes was undrafted. There are WRs out of football as good as Jerry Rice.

-Michael