PDA

View Full Version : KK Pot Limit problem

06-16-2002, 09:46 PM
I am in a pot limit game with blinds of $2 and $5. 4 limp to me,I pick up KK 2 off the button and raise the max to $40 the big blind makes it $100 (he has another $695 in chips) everyone folds to me (I have another $1250 in chips)I consider reraising but decide flat call figuring that I want to see the flop and see what develops.

Is this correct?

The flop comes 10 8 8 the big blind bets 150. I decide to make a play for the pot and raise to $400 straight. Was this correct?

the big blind goes all in for another $295. I called the raise. I considered folding but felt that since there was a lot of money in the pot and he couldnt bet any more I would call. Who would fold here?

Please rate my play on all streets. Results to follw.

Jay

06-16-2002, 10:10 PM
Your flop raise is a mistake, unless he's more likely to put it all in with QQ or less when you raise than if you just flat-call (which isn't likely).

He's done everything he can to say AA here, and you still can't fold, as he might be just as likely to have QQ or even JJ. It all depends upon what you know about this player, and how likely he is to have something less than AA here. That's really the only question. However, if you're going to raise the flop, and he can only reraise 295, you might as well raise the pot all the way on the flop to the max. The only reason to raise less than the max here is if you're going to fold to the reraise.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

06-17-2002, 12:02 AM
I consider reraising but decide flat call figuring that I want to see the flop and see what develops.

Is this correct?

What does his re-raise mean? If it means AA, then fold, otherwise, we need to know the range of hands he'll make this raise with, but you may want to put him all in.

The flop comes 10 8 8 the big blind bets 150. I decide to make a play for the pot and raise to $400 straight. Was this correct?

If you've gone this far, why not. I count $225 in the pot, this is a serious overbet.

the big blind goes all in for another $295. I called the raise. I considered folding but felt that since there was a lot of money in the pot and he couldnt bet any more I would call. Who would fold here?

Once again, we have to know what range of hands you have put him on. You are beaten by AA, TT and any 8.

Please rate my play on all streets. Results to follw.

If the guy had AA, you would like to know BTF. Would have re-raising his $60 bump given you that information?

06-18-2002, 01:57 AM
I would be to put the chips in before the flop if you think he'll call. With stacks this size, if he's got AA you're just going to have to put the chips in anyway, might as well get them in there while he might call with less. What if an ace or king flops and he's got QQ or JJ, you won't get the money.

06-20-2002, 04:22 AM
Phat mack he underbet the pot substantially rather than overbetting it. He could have bet his man allin. You didn't count the $150 flop bet.

I am in favour of reraising to $225 or $250 preflop to find out if hes got them. Of course i raise the same amount with AA too. If you would always reraise the max with AA here then you are digging yourself a hole for every time you get KK.

After being reraised on the flop no way am i mucking, you are so pot committed you may as well buy it an engagement ring.

Anyway, did he have it?

06-21-2002, 02:34 PM
You didn't count the $150 flop bet.

Yeah, that's where I screwed up. They never tell me when there's gonna be a math test...

I am in favour of reraising to $225 or $250 preflop to find out if hes got them.

Me too.

Of course i raise the same amount with AA too.

Me too. Although I know a couple of solid players who seem to mix up their bets.

If you would always reraise the max with AA here then you are digging yourself a hole for every time you get KK.

I tend to bet the max with a small group of big hands, then expand the group to see what the max steal threshold is.

After being reraised on the flop no way am i mucking,

There are players who would make me drop KK with one re-raise, players who would make me drop with two re-raises, and players who would get my stack if they had AA.