PDA

View Full Version : AQo..a turn decision

brian0729
10-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Table is loose and passive.
Both opponents fit the above description.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

River: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between Hero, UTG+1 and MP2.</font>

Comments on all hand appreciated but mostly looking for turn comments. Thanks.

John White
10-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Bet the turn.

brian0729
10-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Normally my default play is to go ahead and bet the turn. But I did not see many cards that could come on the river that hurt me. What do you do when you are check raised on the turn here?

Gatts
10-17-2004, 11:07 PM
You think you're getting c/r by loose passives without a 5?

jason1990
10-17-2004, 11:14 PM
You're first to act, so you can't get check-raised, right? I bet the turn, and if someone slowed-played a 5, I'm just thankful they weren't more aggressive earlier.

brian0729
10-17-2004, 11:15 PM
So you bet and fold to a raise in most cases here?. I think its hard to lay down to a check raise in this spot. However check calling the turn and river cant be right either.

P.S. Are you only one that answers questions in this forum. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brian0729
10-17-2004, 11:17 PM
You're first to act, so you can't get check-raised, right?

You are correct. I didnt mean check raised I meant betting and getting raised. I cant edit my earlier post.

I beleive most people at this level wont get aggressive till the turn with there trips.

jason1990
10-17-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I beleive most people at this level wont get aggressive till the turn with there trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's what makes it a tough play. But on the other hand, that's precisely the reason I feel comfortable being aggressive with the 2-pair hand. If I get beat by a 5, so be it. I will win more often than I'm beat, and I'm not losing as much as I "should" when I'm beat. In the long run, I think this way of playing is profitable.

It also an advantage when the tables are turned. If I had the 5, I'd be betting and raising the flop. Those who slow-play a 5 in that circumstance usually don't think I have it.

And another thought: You lose a certain amount by allowing your opponents a free river card when they don't have a 5. You lose a certain amount by getting raised when they do have a 5. I think the first amount is more, which is why it's probably better to bet the turn.

davelin
10-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Bet the turn. Don't worry about the 5 until someone gives you reason to.

brian0729
10-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Betting the turn is the correct play. I thought it was when I played the hand and it was even more obvious when I posted the hand.

So lets change it around some: Lets say you bet and are raised and the next opponent folds leaving you heads up. Do you call the turn raise or do you fold right there. If you call the turn bet do you call the river bet as well.

davelin
10-17-2004, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the turn is the correct play. I thought it was when I played the hand and it was even more obvious when I posted the hand.

So lets change it around some: Lets say you bet and are raised and the next opponent folds leaving you heads up. Do you call the turn raise or do you fold right there. If you call the turn bet do you call the river bet as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call-down, perhaps 3-bet based on my read.

jason1990
10-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I would call the turn raise, check the river, and call if he bets.

HajiShirazu
10-18-2004, 03:42 AM
You aren't betting to "protect your hand" you are betting because probably nobody has a 5 but yet people will call with worse hands. Sometimes you will be checkraised but the majority of the time you will just be called by worse hands, and you absolutely have to get value out of your hand at these times.

Peter Harris
10-18-2004, 05:54 AM
you gotta bet the turn, you most probably have the best hand, few can come to beat you, put the money in the pot whilst you're the favourite!

Really, there's no excuse for not betting the turn, UNLESS you thought someone would bet and you could checkraise.

Regards,
Pete Harris

brian0729
10-18-2004, 10:36 AM
UTG has AQ, we chop

The turn bet is the right play in this case, these opponents were passive. If they were more aggresssive I think and argument could be made for checking but I dont think that this is one of those spots.

Trix
10-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Easy turnbet.

witeknite
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm with Peter. When I first saw the turn checked through, I thought it was a c/r that whiffed. If that wasn't what you were going for, you should have bet. If that was what you were going for, I don't think this is the place to try a c/r. When you raise the flop and it doesn't get 3-bet, then you check the turn, I think that screams c/r attempt and no one will bet without the set.

Since you raised the flop and didn't get 3-bet, you have to figure you are ahead on the turn. Put in a bet for value.

WiteKnite

afk
10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Bet ye olde turne.