PDA

View Full Version : To add-on or not to add-on? POLL

Garland
10-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Stakes: $50+$15 T1000 ($50 unlimited rebuy for 1st hour if at or below T1000, which gets you T1000 and $50 add-on at end of 1st hour, which is available to anyone for T2000).
Players: In general, very poor.

I'm at the end of the first hour and rebought 3 times. But at the end of the first hour, I have T7200 with T100-T200 blinds, T25 antes coming after the break.

You are the chip leader and probably the best player at the table.

Would you add-on?

Regardless of answer, what is the breaking point, if any, for the add-on. (at what point would you consider an add-on not worth your money?).

Garland

durron597
10-17-2004, 07:08 PM
I would only not add-on if I had a significant chip lead over the entire field. At least 3000 chips.

Nottom
10-17-2004, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would only not add-on if I had a significant chip lead over the entire field. At least 3000 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

300 is hardly significant. I'd want to be the chipleader and at least double the next guy at my table (after he adds-on) if not the next guy in the tourney.

sloth469
10-17-2004, 11:37 PM
I was in a similar situation last night in a rebuy on paradise after the first hour I had a 3k lead on the next guy and was 8x average stack. I opted not to rebuy. My reasoning was that if I can't get it done with the lead I have an extra 2500 ain't going to help.

So what does everyone think?

MicroBob
10-18-2004, 12:19 AM
I always add-on assuming it's a normal add-on of 1.5-2x the original stack.

I agree with Nottom that I would consider not adding-on if I had double the stack of the next highest guy in the whole tournament.

But think about it, you are in prime-position to take 1st place or, at the very least, make the final table....and you are just trying to save a few bucks because you think that increasing your stack from 7k to 9k isn't going to be that significant.

The extra 2k should hopefully provide you with extra opportunities....either in the form of blind-stealing, or just hanging on with an addition 2k if you lose a bad-beat or two.
I think that extra 2k should add significant EV to your chances of taking top prize.

I really think it's almost a defeatest attitude.
Because if you place for decent cash you're really not going to care that you spent the extra money on the add-on.

The only time where you will be kicking yourself is if you get clobbered and don't place leaving yourself thinking 'geez, why did i even bother to add-on if I was going to play like an idiot anyway.'

Greg (FossilMan)
10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Sorry if this is too harsh, but the people who voted "no" in your poll are 100% completely wrong. The answer is clearly yes and (in the great words of this forum) it's not even close.

I would have to have a money-stack before I would even think about not adding on when getting the chips for half price. By a money-stack, I mean the average sized stack once we're in the money. For example, if this event pays 10 places, and by the end of the rebuys and addons there will be T200,000 in play, then I wouldn't even hesitate to addon unless my stack was about T20,000 at the end of the rebuy period.

It really doesn't matter that your stack is already above average, or that you're chip leader, or any of that. At this point, you are still far from the money. The average value of each chip is easy calculable, and the fact that you have a big stack doesn't dilute the value of those added chips by very much. Thus, you are paying $50 for chips that are going to be worth about $75-80 (depending upon the number of buyins, rebuys, and addons). That is all there is to it, really.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Bigwig
10-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I would recommend always rebuying when you're getting half price.

I guess a case could be made to abstain when your stack is enormous. But you'd better be the tournament leader by a large margin.

Garland
10-19-2004, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is too harsh, but the people who voted "no" in your poll are 100% completely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm very happy I did add-on and voted "yes". Thanks for the reply, champ.

Garland

fnord_too
10-19-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
money-stack ... the average sized stack once we're in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a standard term? I think about this value in every tournament I play, but never knew there was a nice shorthand phrase for it.

Greg (FossilMan)
10-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I use the term. I've not heard it used very often, however. I have heard the term "final-table stack" much more often. And, of course, in many small events they would be the same thing.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

MicroBob
10-19-2004, 11:12 PM
I do this too.

If the tournament pays the top 35 places then I'll take the total number of chips in play and divide by 35 to see what I should be shooting for.
But since 2 or 3 players are going to have pretty big stacks, you really don't need to have an 'average stack with 35 players left' to make the cash. You will easily make it with less than that.

Keep a calculator on my desk and fiddle away with various possibilities sometimes while I'm playing.

I like the term 'money-stack'.