PDA

View Full Version : Disassociation?

NateDog
10-17-2004, 06:40 PM
I am curious as to how long time players deal with bankroll downswings. As a relatively new player, I have been very lucky in my short time playing, and had managed to multiply my initial bankroll several times over (live games only). I play a tight, albiet sometimes weak, game and have been making an effort recently to play more aggressively. The fluctuations have increased dramatically, and as such I find myself reverting to a "rock" as my stack shrinks. (Most recently losing 25% of my roll this weekend in Vegas on a stunning run of cold cards and even more stunning suckouts.)

Obviously I do keep my roll physically separate from real money, but I cannot seem to separate the two emotionally when I am losing. Winning is exactly the opposite, as I tend not to get too exited as I am just adding to my roll.

Thoughts, commentary and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nate

Cross-posted in Psychology

Cosimo
10-17-2004, 08:38 PM
As you imply, the psychological considerations can be best addressed in the Psych forum.

Doing a search for posts in this forum in the last month with 'bankroll' in the title turned up quite a few threads. Start there. It's generally better to reawaken a recent thread (especially if reading the old thread answers your question) than to start a new one.

I'd suggest dropping down a limit if your bankroll drops below 200BB. A weekend in Vegas is a statistical blip in your yearly returns. I put in almost 2500 hands on Friday; that's about two full weeks in Vegas.

We need stickies! Anyone else agree?