PDA

View Full Version : Balance between double up/hang on

Appleforce
10-17-2004, 06:39 PM
When playing MTT's I've given some serious thought about is how often one should put all chips on the line. In the most desirable of situations you often end up being about 70% favourites, for example AK vs Ax.

So, with even the least mathematical skills one realizes that if one gets to push the money in at these situations, you're very soon gonna be broke, i.e. 0,7*0,7*... and so on.

On the other hand, if one tries consequently to never go up against people who can bust them, then one cant find enough hands to play at all.

I guess what I'm tring to say is that I'm having a hard time finding the balance between limping to see flops, and raising/moving in to double up/get busted.

Anyone have a tip?

curtains
10-17-2004, 06:59 PM
You are not going to eventually go broke, because if you keep taking 70% shots, if you win a few of them you will have more chips than most of your opponents.

Appleforce
10-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Well, there's always a bigger stack /images/graemlins/wink.gif that for some reason wanna bust you.

bigbambu14
10-17-2004, 07:37 PM
with a hand like tens it all depends on your stack relative to the big blind. A hand like this I will only go all in in my stack is below 10X the big blind. After that a raise only makes sense in late position. UTG is a limp w/ a bet post flop if there is no paint on the lop.

patrick dicaprio
10-17-2004, 10:08 PM
i thnk we all struggle with it. the key to sleeping at night is to recognize that there are many factors to take into account and often you can survive if you play well even after a big hit. if you steal correctly and take on the small stacks, and aggressively raise at the right times then you can accumulate chips often without showdowns so you can cut down the numebr of times you are called. didnt work for me tho since i stll couldnt sleep at night, recently having lost 12 out of thirteen times when all in as a 6-4 fav or better.

of course if i did this well and played better i would be rich instead of raymer. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pat

BobboFitos
10-17-2004, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When playing MTT's I've given some serious thought about is how often one should put all chips on the line. In the most desirable of situations you often end up being about 70% favourites, for example AK vs Ax.

So, with even the least mathematical skills one realizes that if one gets to push the money in at these situations, you're very soon gonna be broke, i.e. 0,7*0,7*... and so on.

On the other hand, if one tries consequently to never go up against people who can bust them, then one cant find enough hands to play at all.

I guess what I'm tring to say is that I'm having a hard time finding the balance between limping to see flops, and raising/moving in to double up/get busted.

Anyone have a tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been an overdone topic discussed at length on this board. Do a search for "survival," or "doubling up," etc etc.

In TPFAP the point is not only do you go bust if you lose, but your opponents will go bust, too, if they lose. I.E. Force them to the tough decision which you are posing to us. Make them sacrifice their tournament life in a 60, or 53, or 45, etc etc situation.

The tip is basically if you're the aggressor, make the move. If you're the caller, it's a much tougher decision.