PDA

View Full Version : Reposted by request with conv format: AA w/ the nuts how much to bet?

PokerGoblin
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed)

UTG ($157.39)
UTG+1 <font color="purple">(VILLIAN)</font> ($81.25)
MP1 ($103.50)
Hero ($90.50)
MP3 ($50)
CO ($29.70)
Button ($59.50)
SB ($105.85)
BB ($75.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(VILLIAN)</font> calls $1, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(VILLIAN)</font> calls $2.50.

Flop: ($8.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">VILLIAN bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($14.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">VILLIAN bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($20.50) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
VILLIAN checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, VILLIAN calls $20.

Final Pot: $60.50

My $20 bet was a pot sized bet. I had the Villian covered by about $9. I had them pretty firmly on a set of sixes (tried to limp, then called preflop raise, then bets into me post-flop). I was afraid of overbetting and losing them (which is a problem I have had a lot lately). I think I have a very tight table image and I think that deters the action I get, Especially after couple hours at the same table.

I figured if my read was right they'd call a decent amount. Could I have gotten away w/ more?

How much to bet in situations where I want a call has been a weak point in my game. Any suggestions as to some guidelines, or if some other threads have covered this sufficiently that's cool too.

Thanks

PG

TheGrifter
10-17-2004, 05:48 PM
This is highly player dependant. Sometimes I'll overbet the pot all in, sometimes I'll act weak in order to entice a raise.

In general, you want weak hands to call you and strong hands to raise you. If you feel that a strong hand such as a set will not raise then you need to make the max. value bet. Remember, you only have to get called 1/3 of the time (from someone who will call for 20) in order to make an all in more profitable.

soah
10-17-2004, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had them pretty firmly on a set of sixes (tried to limp, then called preflop raise, then bets into me post-flop). I was afraid of overbetting and losing them (which is a problem I have had a lot lately).

[/ QUOTE ]

If they will fold a set that easily then you should be steamrolling this table.

I can't really see them with a set here. If they are willing to call $3.50 preflop in order to extract another $6 when they flop a set then they should be dumping money left and right by paying for draws and not collecting when they hit.

This type of betting looks like a weak ace or a medium pocket pair that's hoping you don't have an ace and will go away, but trying to get to the showdown cheaply. They will often delude themselves into calling raises or river bets in hopes that they've induced a bluff by betting weakly.

How to play this hand really depends a lot on what you know of your opponent, and how your opponent views you. There basically are no cards that can come to beat you so there's no need to protect your hand or anything. It's just a matter of getting as much money in the pot as possible.

TheGrifter
10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
More important than the river bet, you should've raised the turn.

GrandMaster
10-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah, raising the turn would have made it more profitable. Although it still was with the pot sized call on the river.

PokerGoblin
10-18-2004, 08:24 AM
soah,

Your read was dead nuts accurate. They showed down A-4 offsuit.

Everything you said in your post makes sense... I have a problem (I think it's fairly common) in that I tend to think that everyone thinks like me, i.e. I'd never play a bad ace like that, I rarely even limp with them, and I sure as hell wouldn't bet into a raiser w/ one.

I know I missed a bet on the turn, however I don't know if I could have gotten a call on the river there if I had bet strongly on the turn.

As far as my read goes, A-Q - A-10 crossed my mind, but I wouldn't have bet so much on the river if I didn't think they had a set. The river card was the k /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and it occured to me that they could have had AK and wanted to checkraise. But, I didn't want to bet less and hope for a raise. I didn't consider AK a real possibility until the river, for the lone reason this player had bet preflop w/ that hand some time before and tried to limp in this situation.

Were you sitting at the table during this hand? Was it you I was up against? LOL J/K Everything you said made perfect sense and I will definitely take that into consideration next time I am sitting with a Nut set of aces trying to extract maximum dollars out of some poor soul.

Thanks

PG