PDA

View Full Version : STL-Hou game 4

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 04:55 PM
looks like a slugfest again, STL up 3-0, Oswalt is getting rocked.

HEY HEY HEY HEY, Phat Albert is feasting already.

nolanfan34
10-17-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like a slugfest again, STL up 3-0, Oswalt is getting rocked.

HEY HEY HEY HEY, Phat Albert is feasting already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad start. A couple more runs, and I'll be bumping my prediction that they get to Oswalt early.

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 05:38 PM
4-1 already, Oswalt doesn't look sharp.

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
4-3,

what the hell was Marquis doing? Clark did you send him?

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 06:38 PM
5-4 STL bottom of 6th, this is quite a series. Somewhere Clark is sweating.

Neil Stevens
10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
LaRussa mistake here, letting the #8 batter tie it up? Why not pitch to Oswalt instead?

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I dunno, but this game and serious look close.

5's right now.

Neil Stevens
10-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Now LaRussa REALLY wishes he had that run back. 6-5 Astros.

Beltran has 8 home runs in 9 postseason games this year. Wow.

ThaSaltCracka
10-17-2004, 07:42 PM
haha, Tavarez sucks!

Ulysses
10-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Beltran is real good.

I told Clarky in advance we were gonna rock them w/ the home runs.

Due to some missteps in the Braves series, the Cards still have a chance in this series. Had the Astros won the Braves series in 3 or 4 like they should have, the Cards would have had no chance, having to face well-rested Clemens and Oswalt for a couple of games each.

nolanfan34
10-18-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Had the Astros won the Braves series in 3 or 4 like they should have, the Cards would have had no chance, having to face well-rested Clemens and Oswalt for a couple of games each.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about no chance, but yes, it would have been tougher. I still think the Cards will pull it out. Even if they don't win tomorrow, although I think they will.

And that stadium is an absolute bandbox. I can't believe they could get Clemens to come pitch there. Both teams have had some HR's that I couldn't believe flew out.

The fact is, the Astros are at a disadvantage throwing Clemens and Oswalt on 3 days rest. Statistics back this up - maybe Nate will drop by with some knowledge for us on that - but I remember reading on BP that besides the occasional Josh Beckett performance, guys on 3 days rest just haven't pitched well in the post season.

I concur that Beltran is sick. If that bastard had done this the last three weeks of the REGULAR season, maybe I would have won my damn baseball league.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Dude
10-18-2004, 12:19 AM
I had the pleasure of watching game four in a sports bar w/ both GoT and Clarkmeister. It was surprisingly civil.

nolanfan34
10-18-2004, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had the pleasure of watching game four in a sports bar w/ both GoT and Clarkmeister. It was surprisingly civil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that explains the lack of posting. Is GoT 21 yet? I didn't think he could go to a sports bar yet. Not trying to be insulting, just curious.

Cause if you're both 21 now, we gotta hit the Muck next time you guys make it back up to the NW...

The Dude
10-18-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is GoT 21 yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, give it a few months.

nolanfan34
10-18-2004, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is GoT 21 yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, give it a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Don't kill the guy on his 21 run, OK?

ThaSaltCracka
10-18-2004, 12:37 AM
that is his role though. Better advice is don't let his face become reder than his shirt.

The Dude
10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Come on, let's not pretend GoT has the balls to let us put him through that. We just spent the entire weekend at the Mirage poker room, and GoT ordered exactly zero drinks. Zero, my friends. Boooooooo.

nolanfan34
10-18-2004, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on, let's not pretend GoT has the balls to let us put him through that. We just spent the entire weekend at the Mirage poker room, and GoT ordered exactly zero drinks. Zero, my friends. Boooooooo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he just worried about getting carded? Because I could understand that, maybe. If that wasn't it though, then I agree...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Will a trip report be forthcoming? Or is this epic road trip going to straight into a screenplay?

The Dude
10-18-2004, 01:01 AM
He most certainly wasn't concerned about being carded. However, he did take enough off one particular 20-40 table that the cage asked him for his tax information. Me, on the other hand - I got drunk.

The Dude 1 - GuyOnTilt 0

Clarkmeister
10-18-2004, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LaRussa mistake here, letting the #8 batter tie it up? Why not pitch to Oswalt instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I love to hate TLR, he did the right thing there. We don't mind if Oswalt pitches another inning as we had gotten to him several other times, and even if we didn't again, he throws more pitches in case it goes 7 games. Plus, it's likely they pinch-hit for him anyways, and we'd rather face Chavez than their pinch-hitter (Palmiero). I think it was a no-brainer.

The other move that TLR did that was IMO brilliant was pulling Marquis mid-batter against Beltran after Beltran laced one just foul. That was awesome, and it worked out.

He also gets kudos for bringing in Izzy in the 8th.

He did one boneheaded thing, and that was leaving Tavarez in after he wild-pitched the first time after the Bagwell beaning. Terrible, terrible decision, but he got bailed out by a one-in-a-million double play.

Jason Marquis' baserunning blunder is what cost the game. That extra run, and extra out was the difference between a tie game through 9 innings, and possibly the difference in the game. What the [censored] he was thinking, I'll never know.

Beltran hit an unhittable pitch for a HR. Kudos to him, can't really complain about that, it was 3 inches off the ground.

I think we still win, Clemens and Oswalt looked very human, and that was on full rest. They'll be back on short rest and should be even more hittable. But other than Marquis' baserunning blunder, I really don't have anything to complain about regarding the last two games. If we deserve to win this series, we'll go out and win it. If not, we won't, we certainly had chances today.

Neil Stevens
10-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Yeah, good point. If pinch-hitting was expected then you might as well go for it. It's so easy to second-guess though, heh.