PDA

View Full Version : Football Strategy

Michael Davis
10-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I have been harping on this for years, because I have never seen it implemented correctly. Here is an obvious situation to illustrate what I mean:

9 seconds left, Seattle has the ball on about NE's five down by 10 points.

The ONLY correct play is to kick the FG right there. Down doesn't matter, as it often doesn't in these late game situations. It's not close, there isn't even an argument.

They should actually be doing this with 40 seconds left as soon as they get into field goal range, but I admit it is not as obviously correct.

I really think NFL coaches should hire a clock operating strategist. It is amazing how often they botch late game strategic decisions, things that are easy like whether to take the time out before or after the two minute warning, calling a timeout with thirty seconds left before kicking a FG to "win," etc.

-Michael

Toro
10-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Wrong. They were trying to cover.

Michael Davis
10-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Perhaps Koren Robinson's practices should be simple games of catch instead of gambling theory seminars, then.

-Michael

bernie
10-17-2004, 06:00 PM
The playcalling for seattle sucks. On top of the dropped balls. :50 left, down by 2 scores and they call a run play!?!

Sheer brilliance.

Add to that the wonderful 3 man rush on defense for most of the 2nd half to really put pressure on brady. Mr. holmgren ever hear of a blitz?

Needed: 2 recievers and a playcaller!

b

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Bad clock management was the reason for the Seahawks' early exit last year.