PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I play this AA

06-07-2002, 02:24 PM
50 max PP no limit game

UTG raises to $4 ($49 chips), I call w/ AsAc ($96 chips), button calls ($59 chips).

I know I should've raised here, but I was trying to be deceptive because I didnt think anybody else would call and I had position on the original raiser. However this wasn't my biggest mistake.

3 see flop Qc 8c Tc ($12.75 pot)

UTG bet $6, I raise to $24, how dumb is this?

All fold.

How many people would've just called here, I had the Ac. And I was probably in the lead anyway.

I think I could've got a lot more $ out of this hand had I just called.

Any other opinions?

Thanks,

Ryan

06-07-2002, 05:09 PM
I don't like your preflop call: If you really have to slowplay your aces, IMO, you should either limp first in (trying to limp-reraise or check-raise the flop) or limp from the button, to assure that you have position throughout the hand.

> UTG bet $6, I raise to $24, how dumb is this?

Raising here is certainly correct: Despite your nut-flush draw, you cannot give a cheap card when the flop contains two cards in the playing zone w/ a str8 possible and you certainly don't want the button to come along. Also you wouldn't have any idea where you stand when an offsuit 9, T, J, Q or K turns.

I don't like the size of your bet, however. Since, given your nut-outs, $24 would make you pot-stuck anyway, you might as well move in. Even if you are behind - and usually you will only get action when you are behind - you at least assure that your opponent will have to pay full price when you draw out on him on turn.

If both your opponents are tight and predictable and will fold anything but a set, str8 or flush here, it might be even better to raise small (say to $15) to leave yourself a chance to get away from the hand.

cu

Ignatius

06-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Three points.

(1) Don't let players in behind you. Your position is dreadful because oppo will check there two pairs on the flop to the pre-flop raiser who will bet through you into the entire field.

(2) Suppose an ace comes on the flop - now you lose your action when you might have got doubled up against KK/QQ

(3) Most good players tread fairly carefully with only one pair when there is lots of money left to bet. It's you who will find it difficult to get away from your hand.

To flat call with aces you want to have somewhere between 2 and 4 times the pot left to bet after the flop. It really will be hard for your opponent to get away from from his pair post flop in that case, and you risk/reward ratio is much better.