PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Hold Em Question

06-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Saturday was my first time playing Pot Limit, The blinds were 2 and 5, I was dealt Kh9h in mid position 2 early limpers I limped and the button limped. The small blind folded. The Flop was Ah 6h 4s, the first limper bets $25, I call everyone folds to the button who raised the Pot(125 more) the first limper folded. What is the correct play?

Should I have played it differently when I called the early limpers $25 bet?

Results will follow

Jay

06-03-2002, 11:23 AM
You don't say anything about the stacksizes or about the players. Everything depends.

But:

Don't limp with K9s mp (What flop do you want?)

Don't call the $25 (unless you can get $100 back if you hit on the turn)

Don't call the $125 extra (Unless you can get $500 back if you hit on the turn)

If you call, pray to the board dosen't pair.

06-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Your preflop call with K9s is rather loose, even when you expected that there would be no further raise. When you play only for the flush, it should be with AXs so that you can bet with confidence in case you get there (non-nut draws are trouble in in big bet poker).

> What is the correct play?

This would depend on the stack-sizes of the players involved, but independent of that, if you want to play your flush draw, you should have raised to give yourself a chance to win it right there or at least to scare the 1st bettor into calling and checking to you on turn; also, you want to discourage a lesser flush-draw from betting you out of the pot.

cu

Ignatius

06-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi Jay,

Here's what I would have done.

First off, I wouldn't limp with K9 suited. But because I don't know the nature of the table, the stack sizes I cannot assume whether or not limping was entirely a bad play. Normally, if you do limp with such a hand, make it a A-x suited so you are drawing to the nuts.

But seeing as how you have committed to the pot, and are in horrible position (with players to act)for a flush draw I woudl fold the turn if limper bets the pot.

But seeing that you committed, and now the button who makes it $125 more to call..it's a clear fold. You don't have odds and your not going to get implied odds unless the button pays you off.

As the previous 2 posters said, pray the board don't pair.

Lawrence