PDA

View Full Version : Favorite SNG Quotes

byronkincaid
10-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Some of the quotes from this forum that have helped my game.

The bubble is your friend.

Third place money is infinitely better than fourth.

Don't call.

Anyone else got any?

AleoMagus
10-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Not an exact quote, but something along the lines of...

"On the bubble, big stacks tend to get bigger, small stacks tend to get smaller"

Regards
Brad S

Desdia72
10-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Forgive the whiny bitches, Des . . .

codewarrior
10-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Play for 1st, settle for 3rd.

(I'm settling for third a little much for my taste lately /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

Texas Pete
10-17-2004, 12:42 PM
"On the bubble be the aggressor"

also favorite (stupid) quote from an online game, after someone limped in with KK, slow played it, and lost a big pot:

"Man, the players here are crazy. It doesn't pay to play smart in the beginning rounds."

PrayingMantis
10-17-2004, 01:05 PM
My most recent favorite SNG quote wasn't actually found here. It's something by Bruce Lee (who was much more than a film star. Very important modern figure in the field of martial arts), who is paraphrazing on older wisdom:

"When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style."

I think this is extremely relevant to any kind of poker. I'm trying to implement this approach into my SNG play, for a long time. Changing constantly with the game. Not having too rigid plans and strategies, not having a concrete style.

ReDeYES88
10-17-2004, 02:17 PM
they can't take your chips from you, you can only give them away

NotMitch
10-17-2004, 02:44 PM
From a non 2+2er in a 2+2 Sng (note playing in these has helped my game a ton).

DCJ311: not calling with K2o ? wow
DCJ311: but if a K comes on the flop youre going to wish you had called right?

housenuts
10-17-2004, 04:01 PM
my favourite is when there has been a chip leader for a while and then all of a sudden you take over the chip lead and say
"there's a new sheriff in town"

or when you win a big pot you write
"That's how you do it. That's how you debate" - a memorable quote from the movie Old School

Amid Cent
10-18-2004, 02:37 PM
This is my favorite exchange from an SNG.

Fish1 had raised preflop with AJo, bluffed all-in with nothing and lost to a player who flopped a set with 33.

Fish1: "Nice Catch"
Me: "He didn't catch anything, he had you before the flop".
Fish1: "I meant he wouldn't have been as likely to go all in if didn't flop a set."
Me: "Gee, you think?"
Fish1: FU!

The Yugoslavian
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
My favorite SNG experience was having a loose cannon type player going allin quite a bit preflop. He was finally called by someone with 22 and his A6s lost. He then said something like "22 has never won a hand of poker....EVER!" (He was saying all sorts of other things as well, I'm sure you can conjure up some that are not far off what he was actually saying).

When I casually mentioned that he was actually a slight dog preflop he said "well you obviously missed the fact that my cards were SUITED." I was not too surprised when he disagreed that I had already taken that into account.

He then proceeded to keep on b!tching even after he had busted out until the player who busted him with 22 lost some time later.

The moral of the story?

I'm a moron. There's no point in even responding to someone who is going allin preflop early in an SNG with A6s. Oh wait, I guess if your cards are suited then it's ok, nevermind.

rybones
10-18-2004, 04:49 PM
my favorite quote: "but they were soooted"

I beleive it was lorinda but I could be wrong. Anyway she used this phrase to describe a fish and it has saved me tons of $s. I used to play lots of "soooted" crap. Now I see the "soooted" cards and my mind automatically hears "but they were sooooooted"[i like to add the extra ooo for emphasis] and I click fold. (Unless I see A,4s and I can get in cheap /images/graemlins/wink.gif kidding -- i think)

The Yugoslavian
10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, whenever I see suited I hear "soooted' too, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I've heard Daniel Negreanu make this joke at the table during live play. He talks through his decision so much of the time and often will say something like "well, you play online, so you could have anything suited, right?"

dogsballs
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember the name right, DCJ311 is one tough SNG player. Pic of something like an incredible hulk face on Stars.

hhughes
10-18-2004, 10:03 PM
This is a general quote attributed to Phil Gordon...as I heard it someone at a table was berating a player for making an big mistake but still ending up winning the pot from the berater...Gordon was rumored to say

"Dont tap the aquarium"

Not sure if this is a totally accurate account of what took place...but still one of my favorite quotes...

Now if I could just find out who that guy was that was berating me... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mscott
10-19-2004, 01:22 AM
My favorite quote from a sit&go came after a nice three way pot. I had JJ the flop was 988 and a guy with TT put me all in. the turn was a T. the river a J. He of course spent the rest of the tourney type things like "I can't believe how f***ing lucky you are" I decided not to educate him that I was a 9 to 1 favorite when I went in.

mackthefork
10-19-2004, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite SNG experience was having a loose cannon type player going allin quite a bit preflop. He was finally called by someone with 22 and his A6s lost. He then said something like "22 has never won a hand of poker....EVER!" (He was saying all sorts of other things as well, I'm sure you can conjure up some that are not far off what he was actually saying).

When I casually mentioned that he was actually a slight dog preflop he said "well you obviously missed the fact that my cards were SUITED." I was not too surprised when he disagreed that I had already taken that into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be pedantic and kill off the urban myths, AKs is a dog to 22 but A6s is only a dog to 22 if 22 holds a 2 your suit. Hehe what with small edges meaning so much in the long run, I think you SNG chaps should know your odds. Lesson over /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Regards Mack

mackthefork
10-19-2004, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to be pedantic and kill off the urban myths, AKs is a dog to 22 but A6s is only a dog to 22 if 22 holds a 2 your suit. Hehe what with small edges meaning so much in the long run, I think you SNG chaps should know your odds. Lesson over .

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit completely wrong sorry. Mack

SpeakEasy
10-19-2004, 03:24 PM
"Please do not scare or feed the fish."

chill888
10-19-2004, 06:15 PM
When someone busts - for good play or bad play - and then starts swearing and complaining and insulting, etc:

Someone once typed: "Well, I think he took that well"

Still makes me laugh and i use it often.

captZEEbo1
11-02-2004, 11:37 AM
everytime I deal out some ridiculous beat or something (from a bad play), I say "I'm good at poker".

jakethebake
11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is my favorite exchange from an SNG.

Fish1 had raised preflop with AJo, bluffed all-in with nothing and lost to a player who flopped a set with 33.

Fish1: "Nice Catch"
Me: "He didn't catch anything, he had you before the flop".
Fish1: "I meant he wouldn't have been as likely to go all in if didn't flop a set."
Me: "Gee, you think?"
Fish1: FU!

[/ QUOTE ]
I had this same exchange nearly word for word after flopping a set of 5's last night against AQ. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
11-02-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a general quote attributed to Phil Gordon...as I heard it someone at a table was berating a player for making an big mistake but still ending up winning the pot from the berater...Gordon was rumored to say

"Dont tap the aquarium"

Not sure if this is a totally accurate account of what took place...but still one of my favorite quotes...

Now if I could just find out who that guy was that was berating me... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Hilarious! Gotta use that one.

mason55
11-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Playing a tourney right now with a player who keeps saying what he has while other people still are still betting.

fish#1 >> i hate bad beats....and it happens way too much online
fish#1 >> so i tell people what i have ahead of time
helpful guy>> then dont play online
fish#1 >> i win often, so i am not gonna stop playing
fish#1 >> ill just let you know if i have you beat
fish#1 >> if you want to make a bad call....then it is your choice
fish#1 >> but youll know what your drawing against

Although I'm starting to wonder if it's a lie... still pretty funny and i really do think he's serious. the two times he got called down after saying what he had he was telling the truth.

Edit: He just showed down 2 more hands that he announced, so I think he really is telling the truth

jakethebake
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
someone at a table was berating a player for making an big mistake but still ending up winning the pot from the berater...Gordon was rumored to say "Dont tap the aquarium"

[/ QUOTE ]
I used this last night.

jah0550
11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
After beating someone in a pot, I like to put "I win" in the chat box. It really pisses people off.

jcm4ccc
11-04-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After beating someone in a pot, I like to put "I win" in the chat box. It really pisses people off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tap the aquarium.

NotMitch
11-04-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember the name right, DCJ311 is one tough SNG player. Pic of something like an incredible hulk face on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he play PLO8 good

Yads
11-04-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to be pedantic and kill off the urban myths, AKs is a dog to 22 but A6s is only a dog to 22 if 22 holds a 2 your suit. Hehe what with small edges meaning so much in the long run, I think you SNG chaps should know your odds. Lesson over /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Regards Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect captain.

rjb03
11-04-2004, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to be pedantic and kill off the urban myths, AKs is a dog to 22 but A6s is only a dog to 22 if 22 holds a 2 your suit. Hehe what with small edges meaning so much in the long run, I think you SNG chaps should know your odds. Lesson over .

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit completely wrong sorry. Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are referring to A5s which is a 50.4% favorite when against 22 (different suits) according to cardplayer's calculator. However, the reliability of this calculator does not seem so great. I tested A5s against 22 with one of 2's being spades and it couldn't make up it's mind in successive trials (50.1% vs 49.9% and 49.9% vs 50.1%).

lorinda
11-04-2004, 09:50 PM
use twodimes.net

Lori

stupidsucker
11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
I say tap the aquarium all you want. The fish get all stir crazy.

Keep the fish out of school!

No need to berate them when their bad play wins you money. This causes them to rethink. However they LOVE it when you get angry after they suck out. It adds to their experiance, and they will probably do it again and again just for the thrill.

stupidsucker
11-04-2004, 10:48 PM
"That doesnt happen live"
"damn PP set up"
"Vrel_sz you stupid moron fish" (after I push on the bubble with a short stack with TJ and get called by A2)
"call him he is bluffing"
"Man I woulda won that hand with my 82o had I came in"

"Bah' I thought he was bluffing" -after someone CALLS all in with Qhigh.

lorinda
11-04-2004, 10:52 PM

That's even funnier because not only is it funny anyway, but it's not even true.

Lori

rjb03
11-04-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's even funnier because not only is it funny anyway, but it's not even true.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Something to do with the RNG?

stupidsucker
11-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Its not an exact quote, just one of the things people say that cracks me up.

If I woulda played... blah blah blah..

lorinda
11-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Yep, I laugh every time /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's not true because the timing of the click, the temperature at the time of clicking and the exact mouse movements all change the RNG.

Lori

stupidsucker
11-05-2004, 12:50 AM
interesting...

jakethebake
11-05-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"That doesnt happen live"

[/ QUOTE ]Good one!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I do this all the time. Tells everyone I'm stupid and have no idea what I'm doing... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mackthefork
11-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Funny conversation i had with a guy at my table once in a sng I was pushing quite a lot, and he says 'I'm gonna call you as soon as I get a hand with a card better than an 8 in it', and I says to him 'wait until you see what I do when I get one with better than an 8 in it'. Anyways the very next hand I get AA and push and he calls with JQs, I flop another ace, he then proceeds to go runner runner on me, doh! Say nothing, the poker gods can and do work in mysterious ways.

Regards Mack

Phill S
11-05-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny conversation i had with a guy at my table once in a sng I was pushing quite a lot, and he says 'I'm gonna call you as soon as I get a hand with a card better than an 8 in it', and I says to him 'wait until you see what I do when I get one with better than an 8 in it'.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, cracking up. now everyone in my uni library wonders whats so funny on my computer...

Phill

bluesbassman
11-05-2004, 01:52 PM
My first de-lurk....

The other night I was playing an online $20 sng, and there was the typical maniac/fish who would go all-in pre-flop at the very beginning of the tourney with any paint. I brought his KJo all-in with my KK and it was bye-bye. One of the other players remarked, "And that's what happens to players like that." I responded, "players like that give me +EV."

BIG mistake. I couldn't get any action the remainder of the early rounds with strong hands. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lance

lorinda
11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
For the interests of accuracy, my previous comment about a continuous shuffle is wrong. The deck IS actually preset, at least on Stars.
(Although waggling the mouse around before the shuffle WILL still make a difference)

Lori

jon_1van
11-09-2004, 12:46 PM
thats a great quote...did you respond?

jon_1van
11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
You have to save that HH if the conversation would be a part of the history as it is on PP

stupidsucker
11-09-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the interests of accuracy, my previous comment about a continuous shuffle is wrong. The deck IS actually preset, at least on Stars.
(Although waggling the mouse around before the shuffle WILL still make a difference)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was interested thanks. I dont really like the idea of a random shuffel for each card. Seems to me its just as effective to shuffel once. If a dealer at a live table shuffeled up the cards before the flop turn and river it would cause hysteria.

jadowa
11-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Party Poker too