PDA

View Full Version : Two AA hands

05-29-2002, 11:16 PM
This is in the .25-.50 50 max buy in NLHE game at paradise

hand 1: loose semi passive game, was hoping to limp reraise.

I call UTG w/AcAs (my stack size $67), button calls (button stack $60), BB checks (BB stack $43).

The BB is a decent player, button is horrible seen him play all kinds of junk.

Three see flop ($1.75 pot) 7d 3c 2c

BB bets $1, I raise to $4, button calls, BB calls

Turn ($13.75 pot) Kh

BB checks, I bet $11, button calls, BB folds

River 4s ($35.75 pot)

Board 7d 3c 2c Kh 4s

I bet $7, button calls shows Kc 5c, I win.

Did I play this right? make any mistakes? could've played it better?

Hand 2 same table, this hand actually happened 1st

1st 3 fold, I raise to $3 w/ AsAd (my stack $57),only SB calls (SB stack $48).

Flop 9s 6c 4c ($6.50 pot)

SB bets $5, I call

Turn 3h ($17 pot)

board 9s 6c 4c 3h

SB bets $22

what would you do?

results later

Thanks for responses in advance,

Ryan

05-30-2002, 12:20 AM
In the first hand, I usually don't go for limp-reraises for fear of the same thing happening to me. {ppl getting in for cheap and flopping a stealth set or two pair) On occasion, in a short handed game [3 people] then I would occasionally limp in with high pocket pairs and play accordingly.

Anyways, back to the hand, preflop, I would like to get 15-20 percent of my stack in there. With that flop, I'd probably push it all in to get those gutshot outs and draws, or make them pay to draw, and if it holds up, it holds up.

On the second hand, there's a straight and flush draw on the flop and he could be betting either of those draws and have hit on the turn since u just called. The SB bets 22 on the turn of his 41 [math correct?] In terms of stack sizes, that's a sizable amount, but then again, it's only 22 bucks, so what the hell, put him all.

Kick up the aggressive level a bit.

-Joe

05-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Hand 1)With an opponent that weak I'm surprised you got as much as you did out of him.

Hand 2)Without knowing anything about your player I would have reraised him $20 on the flop and see what he does from there. Calling on the flop was a mistake. He could easily have a number of lesser hands than yours.

Best of luck. LTL

05-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Hand 1: Well, I certainly do not push all-in on the flop as another poster as said. I mean, the pot is about 3$, why the hell would I put 65$ in? This simply is bad poker. There is no way you get called by a lesser hand like top pair or a draw (this is kind of what you want if they do not have the odds). If you get called when you push in, you are beaten, most likely badly beaten (i.e. a set). I would raise the pot. If he calls, then you have to decide if he is likely trapping or simply drawing and bet the turn or not. According to your description, I would certainly bet the pot on the turn. I would probably bet more on the river, or, check and hope he bets if he is an aggressive type. That way, he might bet a busted draw with which he would not call your bet with.

Hand 2: Well, I would have raised on the flop. It would have probably made your decision easier on the turn. Since you did not, I wouldn't fold when he bets again on the turn. What hands could he have here? A good player could have a set or maybe 2 connectors in clubs. Two pair or a str8 draw are not likely. Although you do not say if this opponent was any good.

Nicolas

05-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I thought I played hand 1 pretty decent, however hand 2 has been in my mind for 24 hours.

After the SB bet $22 I had the same thoughts as Joe, "what the hell its only $22," The only hands I thought he had were 99 TT JJ

Then I remembered a hand earlier in the session I called a raise from the SB w/ 66 and bet the flop w/ trips got raised and busted AA

BTW, SB was a good player capable of making the same play I did, with this still lingering in my mind I mucked.

However Im not so sure I made the right play. I know I made a huge mistake by not playing back at him on the flop. That would've let me know where I was at.

But even though I didnt play back I still think I should've called the turn bet. It seems like he was trying to push me out of the pot w/ TT or JJ in fear I was drawing to the clubs.

Thanks,

Ryan

05-30-2002, 01:13 PM
"what the hell its only $22"

I don't think you can be thinking like that, or you'll never improve as quality player. I mean, when you move up to playing with blinds like 5-5, the 22$ bet will now be 300$. The reasons you call the 22$ are the same as the ones you'd call the 300$. You look at the player, his stack, his bet compared to the pot, etc...

It's like if you'd call a preflop raise with 72o simply because it's only 2 bucks. That's not the way to go.

Nicolas

05-30-2002, 04:26 PM
As you said, you should have raised the flop in hand #2.

But it was not a marginal decision where you made a borderline mistake--you HAVE to raise that kind of flop. With a flush draw and a straight draw on board, there is not a single reason to flat-call here. The thought of doing anything other than raising on a flop like that should make you queasy.

Best,

Matt

05-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I understand exactly what you mean, thats one reason why I didn't call.

05-30-2002, 04:49 PM
beleive me, when the hand was over and I started to think about it, it did make me queasy

05-30-2002, 06:46 PM
"Hand 1: Well, I certainly do not push all-in on the flop as another poster as said. I mean, the pot is about 3$, why the hell would I put 65$ in?"

I agree, however, luckily for me, in the games I play, there are players [very weak] who will call all ins like that with as low as a gutshot draw.

I should have realized this doesn't happen often.

Again, I agree with Nicolas that doing this will usually get calls from only hands that beat yours.

-Joe

06-03-2002, 10:29 AM
The first hand is ok unless you think you can make him call a higher riverbet.

The second one I don't like. If you call his flop bet, you must count on a potsize bet on the turn if he has anything worth betting.

I would make a raise on the flop to find out where he is at. Maybe raise him $10.

After just calling you dont know anything and are on a gamble. He can have toppair, overpair, 2 pair, a set, a draw. Go All-in. You put your self in this situation and have to take the consequenses. Most likely he have an overpair or a set.

What is your plan with slowplaying those aces? You got what you wanted didn't you? Either he fell in your trap or you fell in it yourself.

What would you do in his position with A9 and you just calling on the flop? I would bet at least the pot. (Ofcause depending on the other player)

I don't like slowplaying AA. Maybe its ok if you won't lay them down anyway. If you can lay them down and are faced with an all-in after your flopraise, you can begin to consider if you should....

Now... you just have to go for it.

I have a bad feeling of a set.......