PDA

View Full Version : DVD Movie Review, "The Battle of Algiers"

Mark Heide
10-17-2004, 02:19 AM
This is a 3 DVD set that includes the movie on one and documentaries on the the others. The movie was made in 1966 and is based on actual events from a book written by FLN member Saadi Yacef. Film was directed by Gillo Pontecorvo and is in French and Arabic with English Subtitles. The film is in black and white and had me glued to my seat. If you are interested in watching an exciting film watch this re-released gem from the late 60s. Gillo Ponteorvo liked using non actors for the film, and most of them are, but he pulls it off to give the film a realistic feel. Movie was filmed in Algiers and tells the story from a leftist point of view, but kind of tell the story in a truthful manner. I highly recommend seeing this flick. Note that, the trailer for the movie claims that this film was required viewing for Pentagon officials. After you watch you will know why.

Happy viewing. I give it four stars. A must see.

Mark

Ray Zee
10-17-2004, 03:39 PM
great review. look forward to more of these.

snakehead
10-18-2004, 12:10 AM
I enjoyed the review also, but I would have enjoyed it more if it had been posted in the correct forum.

Mark Heide
10-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Ray,

You would enjoy this set of DVDs. Go buy yourself a copy of the set. A log of good extras. Here's a link with more info http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=249

Happy viewing

Mark

Mark Heide
10-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Couldn't find the DVD Review forum.

Good luck

Mark

Michael Emery
10-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Snakehead-

Stop whining about everything. Every post I seem to read from you has you complaining about the wrong forum. Who cares. And your still totally wrong about betting that stud hand on 5th. as opposed to checking.

Mike Emery

snakehead
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
it's called other other topics. this one is for GAMBLING news, views, and gossip.

The once and future king
10-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Also dont forget that Anal retentative tendecies are discussed in the psychology forum.

snakehead
10-18-2004, 05:43 PM
nothing anal about it. I just expect people to be smart enough to read the forum headings and post in the appropriate place. that's only common courtesy. if we're not going to do that, we should just go back to one forum, like it was long before you showed up.

The once and future king
10-19-2004, 08:34 AM
When I was a lad, this used to be all green fields as far as the eye could see.

By the way. It is extremely anal. It would have been anal long before I showed up.

You need to let it go.