PDA

View Full Version : Winning Sessions %

imitation
10-17-2004, 12:58 AM
My winning sessions % is at around 50% infact on some of my DB its well under 50% although I might be winning at a decent rate anyone care to comment if this is something to be concerned with. I don't know what to put it down to...I do table hop a bit but I can't imagine this would effect it too much? For example of my small return to 5/10SH (only 2k hands) i'm at 2.31BB/100 however i've only had 42.22% winning sessions or at party 1/2 I had 20k hands logged with 4BB/100 WR with <50% winning sessions.

Blake Lovely
10-17-2004, 02:59 AM
im showing similar numbers, 3bb/100 at party and 50% winning sessions

Tosh
10-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Rake.

Nottom
10-17-2004, 11:26 AM
You likely are more apt to leave the table and find another if you are losing. This leads to having more small losing sessions while your winning sessions tend to be longer. I would guess if you totaled the hours/hands played durring winning sessions and compared to those playered in losing sessions the winning number would be higher even if you have a 50% (or worse) session win rate.

naphand
10-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Indeed, this debate has raged before. I think individualk table-sessions is not much of a guide, a session should be just that, start-time to end-time. Or by day.

Grisgra
10-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I was just thinking about this -- over 7k hands at 5/10 I'm up over 3BB/100, but only 40 winning sessions out of 80. I am much more inclined to table-switch than I used to be, that might have something to do about it.

tripdad
10-17-2004, 04:30 PM
your numbers seem awefully low to me, and i've had a fairly brutal past month or so. went from winning % of 63 if i recall, to now at 55%.

i rarely switch tables no matter what type of session i'm having in regards to winning/losing. am i missing out on something? i just always thought it was a bit superstitious to move just because you lost a few or are getting poor cards.

cheers!

Nottom
10-17-2004, 04:40 PM
I used to stick around, but I've recently started leaving if I lose 30BBs or so, unless I have a really solid read of the table and know its becasue I keep getting smashed by 2-3 outers. Basically if I am losing at a passive table I will tend to stick around, if the table is aggressive I tend to be more apt to leave since they are more likely to start bluffing you out of pots.

meow_meow
10-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Unless you actively table switch a whole lot, I think the largest factor that for %win sessions (assuming winning play) is the length of the sessions you play.

For example, if most of your sessions are ~100 hands, and your true win rate is 2BB/100 with an SD of 17BB/100, then over the long run you can expect to win about about 53-55% of your sessions, all else being equal.
I'm a bit lazy to do the stats, but it should be obvious that the mean session will be +2BB, with the 95% conf. inv. between -32 and +36 BB.

Nice_Guy
10-18-2004, 02:17 PM
I also hover around 50%.

naphand
10-18-2004, 03:01 PM
You don't happen to have the calculation for this handy?

meow_meow
10-18-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't happen to have the calculation for this handy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sorry.

Actually, I just went to look for it, and found the following website http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/z_table.html,
which allows you to fill in mean, sd, and will then tell you what percentage of trials will fall within a given range.

For mean = 2 and sd = 17, the fraction of winning sessions will be 54.7% (again, asssuming exactly 100 hands/session)

To extend that, if you play much longer sessions, say 400 hands, with the same winrate and sb/100, you could expect to win 59.3% of your sessions - not as big a boost as you might intuitively expect.
You actually get a much bigger change by altering the mean. For winrates of 1 or 3 bb/100 respectively, sessions of 100 hands, % of winning sessions will be 52.3% and 57.0% respectively.

tripdad
10-18-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to stick around, but I've recently started leaving if I lose 30BBs or so

[/ QUOTE ]

at one table in one session? this has only happened to me one time, though 20BB loss is not terribly uncommon.

if you don't mind me asking, what are the usual causes, as you look back on a big losing session like that. i find that i'm losing to a LOT of dominated Aces to 2-pair, and of course your run of the mill rivered straights/flushes. also, hands like JJ unimproved, KK if an Ace falls(i keep betting, am usually never raised only to find opponent was just playing it weakly. of course, there are more sessions than i care to admit that were losing sessions because of my own poor play, or at least bigger losers than they needed to be.

cheers!