PDA

View Full Version : Key Hand #6: HU against the Chipleader, T 9 offsuit

Desdia72
10-17-2004, 12:31 AM
as stated in Key Hand #5, jeannie7 had been playing pretty solid. the raise preflop, IMO, was too low. one thing that i try to pick up is when people are making what i call "LIMIT RAISES-only 2Xs BB". this is another thing that had been happening alot in this particular SNG. seeing as all i had to call was an extra 100 to see the flop, i did just that. when the rainbow flop hits, i check with TPMK. then, BAMMMMMM!, chipleader bets all-in! hmmmmmmm. why would him/her do that with only 400 in the pot? i was'nt one of the loose-crazies that had already bowed out by the wayside. something said, "they want this hand too bad". i could'nt see AA-JJ as a holding. i figured the pf raise would've been more. i don't put bruh on trip 10s because i'm thinking he would've tried to go for the straight milk instead of one lump sum. even with a hand like A 10-J 10, i figure it's unlikely my opponent would still bet so much into a pot that small only to win so little. i figure i have the best of it and decide to call. who sees this differently?

------------------------------------------------------------

PokerStars Game #776120583: Tournament #3048165, Hold'em No Limit -
Level IV (50/100) - 2004/10/16 - 22:07:47 (ET)
Table '3048165 1' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: ReighnStorm (4560 in chips)
Seat 3: jeannie7 (8940 in chips)
jeannie7: posts small blind 50
ReighnStorm: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ReighnStorm [9s Td]
jeannie7: raises 100 to 200
ReighnStorm: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [Tc 5s 7h]
ReighnStorm: checks
jeannie7: bets 8100
ReighnStorm: calls 4360 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Tc 5s 7h] [2h]
*** RIVER *** [Tc 5s 7h 2h] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ReighnStorm: shows [9s Td] (two pair, Tens and Fives)
jeannie7: shows [9d 9h] (two pair, Nines and Fives)
ReighnStorm collected 9120 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9120 | Rake 0
Board [Tc 5s 7h 2h 5h]
Seat 1: ReighnStorm (big blind) showed [9s Td] and won (9120) with two
pair, Tens and Fives
Seat 3: jeannie7 (button) (small blind) showed [9d 9h] and lost with
two pair, Nines and Fives

Cleveland Guy
10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure this is an easy call.

The overbet here can be a protection bet with many hands.

On a pot with not much put into it, there is now a couple of straight draws (6,8), (8,9), (4,6) as well as a flush draw to the hearts.

This could be an overbet with trips, 2 pair, AT, or an overpair as often as it's a bet with 99 or 88.

On the other hand - why would you call a huge raise into a pot you didn't commit much to begin with?

Bigwig
10-18-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On a pot with not much put into it, there is now a couple of straight draws (6,8), (8,9), (4,6) as well as a flush draw to the hearts.

This could be an overbet with trips, 2 pair, AT, or an overpair as often as it's a bet with 99 or 88.

On the other hand - why would you call a huge raise into a pot you didn't commit much to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I like the call of the mini-raise heads up with T9o.

I like the check on the flop to trap with top pair.

I'm not sure I like the call. It's a HUGE overbet. If your opponent is doing this sort of heads up play, wait for a big hand and trap then. Top pair with crapola kicker isn't that hand.

That being said, Jeannie played this hand like a fool.

Desdia72
10-18-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for one, i figured jeannie7 would switch up to a more looser, aggressive/attacking mode, mostly because he or she had the chiplead and that this is still a $5 SNG. i felt that the pf raise was weak. i also felt that the texture of the board scared or rattled jeannie. something told me, "he/she does'nt like this flop and the bet looks like a force out". once again, even with hands like A 10-J 10, i figure that this particular would've played the hand differently (value betting). a set or trips would have also been played differently for more milk effect. A A-J J, those are hands i seriously doubted, seeing as how the pf raise was too low. if the player had been paying close enough attention to my play, they definitely would have been raising more to push me off.

durron597
10-18-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A A-J J, those are hands i seriously doubted, seeing as how the pf raise was too low. if the player had been paying close enough attention to my play, they definitely would have been raising more to push me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your logic at every point except this one. I still say that those hands are unlikely, for the same reason you said earlier; they would have been trying to value bet their premium hand. I call this every day and twice on sundays.

poboy
10-18-2004, 09:03 PM
I agree with your reasoning here except for the part about him not having a big pp. A min-raise HU often means exactly that. No one in their right mind would make a huge pf bet with AA or KK in this spot, as it would likely result in your opponent folding. I don't know about you but I like to win big pots with my premium hands. The huge overbet on the flop is what tells you he doesn't have AA or KK, as I think he would be more likely to try to slowplay them. I don't think you can rule out hands like AT,KT,QT,JT, or JJ. So I don't think this is an autocall, but with the right read(which you felt you had) I would make it.

Desdia72
10-18-2004, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your reasoning here except for the part about him not having a big pp. A min-raise HU often means exactly that. No one in their right mind would make a huge pf bet with AA or KK in this spot, as it would likely result in your opponent folding. I don't know about you but I like to win big pots with my premium hands. The huge overbet on the flop is what tells you he doesn't have AA or KK, as I think he would be more likely to try to slowplay them. I don't think you can rule out hands like AT,KT,QT,JT, or JJ. So I don't think this is an autocall, but with the right read(which you felt you had) I would make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt that the overbet on the flop also ruled out A 10-J 10
when you consider how i had been playing the whole SNG. if you do have one of those holdings, an overbet wins you a very small pot. if you're sure that i will call your overbet with a pair smaller than the 10, go for it, other than that you've only walked away with BB money. certain players at the $5 on Stars get into a hurried mode HU, like they wanna get the game over with. i try to recognize this and slow the game down. i try to ask myself questions like, "has he been playing like this the whole SNG? what hands has he had a propensity to be too aggressive with or play too far? is he raising with any kind of hand? how often does he bluff? is he typically showing down the strongest hand, a hand that barely won, or a hand that was second or third best and got lucky?" in my last 10 cashes, i have 3 wins and (3)2nds. in all three wins, i was in 2nd chip position and i think this line of thinking helped me achieve victory. this was one of them.