PDA

View Full Version : ITH worth it?

CT11
10-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Is ITH worth it? I'm deciding between it and Sklansky on Poker I've read WLLHE and SSH. This relates back to my previous post but I've narrowed it down because caro's book is really cheap and I'll probably add it to my overstock order.

~CT11

Spook
10-17-2004, 10:06 AM
It may or may not be worth it. But if you get it soon you can participate in the book club that is just now starting for it.
So if it does have a lot of falsities, the analysis you give it in the book club will really help your game. Spotting errors and correcting them is a lot better than being given an example of a great move.

CT11
10-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Well it looks like ITH won the poll so I got it. Should be here soon I hope /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Please excuse my ignorance but how does the 2+2 book club work?

~CT11

snowlarbear
10-17-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it looks like ITH won the poll so I got it. Should be here soon I hope /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Please excuse my ignorance but how does the 2+2 book club work?

~CT11

[/ QUOTE ]

just read the proper section and join the thread.

checkmate36
10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I didnt start building my bankroll until I read Matthew's book. I suggest reading it if your a new player like I was. I must say after reading ITH then moving on to SSH I think I have gotten more out of SSH than I would had I not read ITH.
Check

darvon
10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Can I ask a couple of questions?

Where are you in your learning curve on TH? What's your winrate? VPIP? What level do you play? How many hands have you logged into PT?

SSH is a pretty sophisticated book and ITH is basically THE book to move from novice to about 20,000 hands, from a negative winrate to 2BB/hr.

But SSH is more for the 10,000+ player. It sorta assumes a good tight game and gives points on how to INCREASE your positive win rate, as opposed to change it to a positive win rate.

I would have thought that if you are at the SSH level, you are beyond most of ITH.

So where are you?

BeerMoney
10-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm a big fan of ITH. I think a lot of people on this board. It does a good job of keeping things relatively simple.

Blarg
10-17-2004, 09:21 PM
It's extremely well written and clearly organized. This comes as somewhat of a relief after the hodgepodge nature of some 2+2 books.

CT11
10-18-2004, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask a couple of questions?

Where are you in your learning curve on TH? What's your winrate? VPIP? What level do you play? How many hands have you logged into PT?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I can tell you were I am on the learning curve until I've past that point. Then, well, I'm no there any more.

about 5k hands in the last 3 months at .5/1. I've played a bit of 2 table .25/.5 just to see how well I can deal with 2 tabling.

My win rate is some where between -10bb/100 to +10bb/100 thats all I have the sample size to tell you. I am currently ahead if that means anything.

VP$IP is 18-21% again see sample size.
Recently its been 19% but over all 21% according to PT.

[ QUOTE ]

SSH is a pretty sophisticated book and ITH is basically THE book to move from novice to about 20,000 hands, from a negative winrate to 2BB/hr.

But SSH is more for the 10,000+ player. It sorta assumes a good tight game and gives points on how to INCREASE your positive win rate, as opposed to change it to a positive win rate.

I would have thought that if you are at the SSH level, you are beyond most of ITH.

So where are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

My play is based off of WLLH but heavily augmented by SSH.

I think I have learned a lot from SSH but there is still a lot more for me to get out of it.

Also I don't believe that you can tell some one's skill by the number of hands they have played. many fish have played 20k and still are horrible. Some people do some reading and play well from the start.

I don't claim to be in either category though.

~CT11

darvon
10-18-2004, 08:14 AM
i'd be interested to see what you think of ITH.

I'd say with the VPIP (assuming other stats are of that ilk) it looks like you are about where I am.

7500 hands 5000 of them in SNGs.

IMHO your VPIP places you in the top 10% of players at that level, thus the core of the ITH book is no longer germaine for you. You can learn from some of the later chapters and perhaps some of the chapters may fill in a hole here or there. The Bankroll management chapter gives some info/standards not usually found elsewhere.

But it looks like ITH will only give you secondary corrections. Post your experiences, I am interested.

jakethebake
10-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Does ITH cover no-limit?

BigDoggie
10-18-2004, 10:24 AM
No it does not cover no-limit...

jakethebake
10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
nm

VegasRook
10-19-2004, 02:27 AM
I think ITH is the best "START HERE" book. It lays a nice foundation. Once you read it and understand it, you are ready to move on.

I got ITH when I first started and it helped me a lot. Being a quick learner, I was then able to start picking up 2+2 books and understanding them well.

I happen to think most books are worth the money. You read them to gleam a point or two that can help you improve. It would be very hard to not be able to win the amount of the book over time if it gave you any piece of info to help you.

Knowledge is power, keep reading. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

fatshaft
10-19-2004, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt start building my bankroll until I read Matthew's book. I suggest reading it if your a new player like I was. I must say after reading ITH then moving on to SSH I think I have gotten more out of SSH than I would had I not read ITH.
Check

[/ QUOTE ]

What is SSH?

Bytestream
10-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Let me guess. You signed up for the PokerNow $200 bonus and the free book. No one ever asks about Sklansky on Poker and the three books you get to choose from with that deal are Sklansky, ITH, and Caros Fundamentals.

CT11
10-19-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess. You signed up for the PokerNow $200 bonus and the free book. No one ever asks about Sklansky on Poker and the three books you get to choose from with that deal are Sklansky, ITH, and Caros Fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. No one. Especially not me. Especially not in this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1137705&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

You also forgot about Lee Jones' book.

~CT11

imaptone
10-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Ed Millers Small stakes Holdem

Wahoo91
10-21-2004, 07:36 PM
It's extremely well written and clearly organized. This comes as somewhat of a relief after the hodgepodge nature of some 2+2 books.

Well said, most of the 2+2 books (SSH is the exception) are very hard to understand becuase the ideas are not well organized or presented.