PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay this AK hand?

Unarmed
10-16-2004, 05:53 PM
No reads, do I increase my estimate of the prob that UTG has a PP after SB checks? (likely means he whffed with two big cards) At this limit UTG isn't laying down any PP to my bet...

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1380)
MP3 (t1470)
CO (t1280)
Button (t1910)
SB (t1260)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1720)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t120</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t110, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t360) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t360</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1000</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1720

wjmooner
10-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Interesting hand. I hate calling a 6x bb raise early on out of position with AK. So folding preflop is an option, but calling isn't awful. I don't like to reraise early on with AK here, since you are out of position for the entire hand.

On this flop I'd probably just checkfold. If you want to send out a feeler bet I'd bet about half the pot (120-150). If villain has two big cards he'd be hard pressed to call the bet.

So, to answer your question, you may have overplayed it a bit and lost 200-250 too many chips, but it wasn't horrible.

chris

lorinda
10-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I think if you intend to play it this way, you might as well reraise preflop.

Your call really states your intention to fit or fold.

Lori

stupidsucker
10-16-2004, 06:59 PM
3 people in the hand you whiffed the flop. You dont have the lead. Check and fold it. At least you had the sense to fold it when you did.

Coldcalling this preflop is fine IMO, you just have to be carefull on the flop. You are looking for that K or A and without it you should go. I would never fold AK preflop like this, but I also dont like raising out of position like this with a drawing hand.

A half potsize bet is an option as mentioned. This will normaly have the same effect as a potsize bet, without risking too much.

Unarmed
10-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the advice all.
I guess I'm used to being the one raising with AK and then taking the lead on a whiffed flop. In this case I should have just folded the flop, or raised back PF as Lori indicated. The only problem with that line is &gt;50% of the time I'm getting hammered back with an all-in, which I don't really like, as I'd have to call.

Anyway, thanks again.

lorinda
10-17-2004, 09:37 AM
A "Just to clarify" post as usual.

I actually prefer the call preflop, fold line here but was making the point that if you have 300+ chips spare, you are certainly in better shape before the flop than after it.

Edit: and I understand you understand that /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori