PDA

View Full Version : Calling an all-in with a gut shot?

kurosh
10-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed)

BB (t565)
UTG (t1260)
MP (t705)
Hero (t1225)
Button (t1105)
SB (t1140)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t20, MP calls t20, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t100</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t250) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB goes all in</font>, Hero calls t465.

Turn: (t450) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t450) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1180

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Kc Jc (high card, ace).
Hero has Ks Qc (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins t1180. </font>

No reads really. I've just noticed UB players like to check-raise a lot as a bluff method.

zephyr
10-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I personally don't like your flop bet. I think you either check behind and take your free card, or push. If you're planning to call a check raise, I think you're better off just pushing in the first place.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

kurosh
10-16-2004, 04:51 PM
No. If I pushed, he probably wouldn't have called. This way, I bust him.

zephyr
10-16-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's precisely why you push...you want him to fold. There's no way that you could think that you're so far ahead that you'd want him to call.

DontPlayScared
10-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Facing a preflop raise and an ace on board, I would fold every time without giving it a second thought. I like the bet representing the ace, but once someone comes over the top you are in bad shape.

Just my opinion

ChuckNorris
10-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Fold preflop. If you see the flop for some reason, check/fold.

kurosh
10-16-2004, 05:36 PM
You fold KQo 6-handed to a min-reraise?

ChuckNorris
10-16-2004, 05:47 PM
I fold it as soon as I see it, when there are two limpers before me. I admit that that may be tight, but raising with it with two limpers before you seems pretty laggy to me.

wjmooner
10-16-2004, 05:54 PM
"UB" players?

To actually call this bet you would need a specific read on this specific player, ie, that he checkraises on a bluff, for your call to be good. This is a horrible call.

What if he checkraises you with a small pocket pair? What if he checkraises you with a pair of tens? It's still a bluff, but it isn't one that you can beat.

cya
C

lastchance
10-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Tens would give him a set. But a you still can't beat a check-raise stop and go. If you really feel that he's bluffing, call. Otherwise, throw your hand away as fast you can when he goes all-in.

No reads = Fold. Why the hell are you value betting no-pair in the first place? You want him to call when you have absolutely nothing? You are trying to bluff. When someone goes over the top of a bluff, you must know he has nothing, or else you fold.

stupidsucker
10-16-2004, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A gutshot isnt a hand you try to bust people with...In this case almost everytime its you that gets busted because most of the time your opponent will have a hand.

You made a bad call and got lucky you were barely ahead. Your opponent made a much better push then you made a call.

Stay away from gutshots. If you dont believe me then I will save ya a seat next to me. I am not trying to be rude, just stern in order to help. (That is why you posted this hand right?)

Also yes you should fold KQo preflop to a minraise this early. Just today I busted KQo with my AK. He called my 3x bb preflop we hit the K he called my flop and turn bet and he was history all the while cursing PP "setups". You are setting yourself up when you play dominated hands like that.

lastchance
10-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I think you can play KQ here, with position, of course, because people are willing to call down with much worse than TP2K, but you've got to know if you're ahead or behind, and position really helps you there. I think you can get away from AK and AQ enough to make a call +EV, and of course, getting people to bet into your top pair.

kurosh
10-16-2004, 08:41 PM
How tight are you? KQo in position 6 handed. The only hands I'm scared of are AK, AQ, AA, KK and QQ. The chances of someone having one of those 6 handed is pretty slim.

I wasn't drawing to my gutshot to win the hand. I thought I had the best hand right there. A c-r that large didn't scream strength to me. My read was some trashy Kxs flush draw. I was actually surprised for his kicker to be that high. If he hit his ace he most likely would have bet out. With most players, a c-r on the flop is to scare the other guy off the hand, not extract value.

rjb03
10-16-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably would have called with his royal flush draw (nut flush draw, the Q/images/graemlins/club.gif is in your hand). I think you'll be behind here a majority of the time, so pushing is better than calling. At least you have some possible fold equity. If you thought K high was good, why are you asking us if your call with a gutshot was good? It wasn't good. We don't have the reads you have on your opponents so nobody can help you there.

viennagreen
10-16-2004, 11:03 PM
okay--- so say you had this great read on him and are 80% certain that he only has a trashy Kxs flush draw.

you still will only win 55% of the time.

that's not a very big edge, especially when it depends on a great read... if you are wrong with the Kxs-read, then you're behind almost 100% of the time....

lastchance
10-17-2004, 12:03 AM
You generally don't go on here looking for advice on a read-dependent move. If you have the read, you have the read, and we can't really help you with that.