PDA

View Full Version : 20+2: calling an all-in preflop

ChuckNorris
10-16-2004, 04:22 PM
The guy who pushed had been playing very tight, so that's why I'm asking. I don't know if I'd do it again (he had KK).

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: bbird300 ( $1090 )
Seat 3: hero ( $1205 )
Seat 4: meandmexican ( $560 )
Seat 5: mikeycadilac ( $110 )
Seat 6: skandragon ( $1405 )
Seat 7: NLSoldier ( $680 )
Seat 9: Pompey_Exile ( $1720 )
Seat 10: philly_boy ( $1230 )
Level:3 Blinds(25/50)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ As Qs ]
philly_boy folds.
bbird300 calls [50].
hero raises [200].
3 fold
NLSoldier is all-In.
2 fold
hero calls [480].

By the way, this was my first ever 20+2 tournament and I won it (even though I lost the hand) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zephyr
10-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Your call is fine, you're getting nearly 2:1 from the pot. Because of the smallish stack of NLSoldier, I think you can put him on a wider range of hands (maybe 99-AA, AK/AQ).

I don't know about your raise though. Can someone comment on that please.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

NLSoldier
10-17-2004, 03:52 AM
NLSoldier ROOLZ! (That was my little brother playin /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Ogre
10-17-2004, 03:56 AM
I would fold.
NLSoldier is a PRO!
What did I have that hand?

OGRE

p.s. I want my own account!

xerostar
10-17-2004, 04:46 AM
The raise is pretty standard with blinds at 25/50, that's about 4x the bb. That's fine.

The all-in call is iffy, especially since with AQ and a tight player you're probably at best facing a 50:50 chance to win. I doubt any tight player would devote all his 680 chips preflop with 25/50 blinds with AJ or less.

So no, I would not have called this preflop all in. Only because my read on the person would be very accurate and I would probably be up against a pocket pair (9s or better), or AQ or better. Like I said before, any of these are AT BEST a coinflip...not great chances.

Another point is of course the amount of chips you already devoted and how much more you have to put in...you only devoted 1/6 of your stack with the raise, leaving you with 1000, but 480 more is about 1/2 your stack, and given the "at best coinflip" stage, its not correct to call.

zephyr
10-17-2004, 02:20 PM
The fact that you're getting close to 2:1 on your call makes a huge difference. If you limit the opponents hands to only 99-AA or AK/AQ, then you're a 1.6:1 dog going in. I just did the math using ind. chip model and the results came out almost identical for a call or a fold. So I guess if you can put your opponent on this range of hands, either a fold or a call is fine, if you can limit him to better hands, then a fold is in order, if you can put him on more hands, then a call is in order.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

Ogre
10-17-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm putting myself on AKo.

ilya
10-17-2004, 10:01 PM
It depends on what you mean by "tight." If it's the same thing that I mean by "tight," you put the re-raiser on AA-QQ/AK, and fold. If you mean something more like "tighter than the average player for this level," you put him on AA-TT/AK-AQ, and I think you still fold. If by "tight" you actually mean "not extremely LAG," you put him on AA-77/AK-AJ or so, and you call.

I prefer limping with AQs at this blind level, but I'm sure raising has many successful defenders.

SmileyEH
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I would play it the same way...I would limp UTG and perhaps if the table was playing very tight.

It's an auto call after the SS reraise all in though due to the beautiful pot odds.

-SmileyEH

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-18-2004, 05:53 AM
I don't know about your raise though.

Looks pretty standard to me. Pot-size would be 225. I usually go a little over pot-size when there are limper, so in this case I'd have made it 250 to go.

Ogre
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy who pushed had been playing very tight, so that's why I'm asking. I don't know if I'd do it again (he had KK).

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha sorry I didn't ever read this part /images/graemlins/blush.gif. As soon as I saw me as the villian I quickly jumped down to read the action.