PDA

View Full Version : Worth to join vegas in Nov-Dec ??

solucky
10-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi all

First thx to anyone that help me with "whats a good hotel".

Like i said i am in europe and want join Vegas first time. Me and my friend want play poker 70-90 %, just recognize that the hotel-rates are much cheaper in Nov-Dec but a bit frightend that than only locals and semiprofs sit on our table. How is the action in Vegas over the winter ???

thx Wolfgang
PS: weather is no problem, summer for us /images/graemlins/grin.gif

steamboatin
10-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Vegas never sleeps. This will be the first year in the last three years that I won't be in Vegas over the Thanksgiving holiday. Last Thanksgiving, the MGM Grand sold out of rooms as well as a number of other large hotels.

MicroBob
10-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Since he only got one response I will add my own non-expert opinion.

I only have been to LV once and that was in 1995 before I even knew how to play poker.
I do intend on making it back in the near future though.

anyway, based on what I have read and been told I feel safe in assuring you that you will find MANY bad players in a lot of the rooms. It might not be so crazy that every place is completely sold-out.....but you also might not have to be on a waiting-list for 3 hours either.

Anyway, there will be PLENTY of bad tourist players to keep the games quite loose.
It depends on what level you play of course.....if you play 10/20 or smaller I can almost guarantee that you will be amazed with how bad the play is.

I forget specifically where you are from....I have been told that the play in some places in Europe (Vienna, other places maybe??) can be REALLY REALLY loose so if you ar familiar with these rooms then I would guess that the play in LV will be a little bit tighter than you are used to.

But if you play online then the LV games will seem very loose for you....no matter what time of year you go there.

McMelchior
10-17-2004, 10:44 AM
No reason to worry.

Of course the percentage of complete goofs might fall as you move up in limits. I've been to Vegas 5 years in a row, and 3 of the visits have been November/December. Last I was there in August this year, and I noticed a slight increase in the skills of the player I was up against, obviously because of internet poker. For the first time in my personal Vegas history I tanked back-to-back NLHE satellites. Then again I was unlucky ... Wednesday morning at the Bellagio I just missed one satellite going off and noticed three (3) young guys ordering exotic cocktails and flirting with the waitress while being dealt their first hand. Juicy. Next satellite I'm in and it's all locals - not super scary, more like the regular PokerStars $30 sat level, and I don't get lucky.

I mostly play tournaments but still have clocked a few hours in the low limit ring games every time. At the very lowest limits ($1/$2, $1-$3, $1-$4-$8-$8) I've been playing people who have never played poker before. I don't play mid or high limit, but judging from what I have seen you should have absolutely no reason for concern. Poker is booming out of control here in the US, and way to many totally clueless visitors can afford to sit down at a poker table and drop a grand without any noticable impact on their budget.

My boss is going there next month with a couple of business associates. They're not going to play any games lower than $4/$8, and I guarantee you want to be at their table.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-17-2004, 12:25 PM
I was there in the middle of the week in September, which in the US is a typically a slow time for vacations. The games were loose and soft everywhere I played (mostly 4/8 games). The games will be good.