PDA

View Full Version : The hand that did me in...

codewarrior
10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Stars $30+3. Would a pre-flop push (or raise) have made a difference in tournament EV? Big stack seemed solid....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t4140)</font>
<font color="C00000">SB (t7360)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t55)</font>
UTG (t1945)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls t200, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t7360</font>, Hero calls t3940 (All-In).

Flop: (t11555) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t11555) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t11555) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t11555
<font color="green">Main Pot: t165 (t165), between Hero, SB and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t165).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t11390 (t11390), between SB and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t11390).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has Kc Qc (straight, king high).
BB has 4c 2h (one pair, twos).
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: SB wins t11555. </font>

BTW, this is the game I was in with Stoneii and "Aguirre", if you guys want to pipe in. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lorinda
10-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Although I hate limping with KK, you accomplished an ideal scenario here (as I'm sure you are just looking for confirmation of).

Shortish stacked, safe that BB goes out in fourth place, and a shot to double through against bad cards.

Looks like the play worked perfectly to me.

Lori

SlowStroke
10-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I like the way you played this hand.

You have position and plenty of chips. You don't figure to have to play a really big pot unless it looks like you have a very big edge. Which you did, it worked out perfectly.

Unfortunately, poker is mostly luck in the short run, and zero luck in the long run.

I think your long run looks very bright.

lorinda
10-16-2004, 12:33 PM
D'oh, I thought we had the 1.7k

I think my comments, minus the short stack bit, still stand though.

Lori

betgo
10-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Your play worked, but you had a bad beat.

However, I prefer a miniraise. A limp from the button is often suspicious, and you want to make your opponent think you are stealing and get money in the pot. I think you are as likely to get preflop action with a raise than a limp.

Since there is not much blind to steal here (not that you are stealing), I can see more reason to limp. Also, if the SB has been pushing at limpers, I would definately limp.

betgo
10-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Actually, in this case, the limp looks like you are trying to cooperate to knock out the tiny stack. Thw big stack in the SB doesn't really want to knock out the tiny stack. He hopes his push will scare you with the threat of finishing out of the money. However, if you miniraised, there would be more for the SB to steal, so he may have made the same play. I do see the point of the limp here, but in general I don't recommend limping on the button with big pairs.

codewarrior
10-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. So basically I think either play it like I played it or push - same difference against this player. If I had it to do over, I think I'd play it the same way again. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bigwig
10-16-2004, 03:39 PM
That was my sorry 55 chip short stack. Heh.

The hand before, Codewarrior and I had an all-in with my AQs vs his 99.

What did you think of my call on that one, Code?

Anyway, I'm currently leading the 1:30 $20 stars MTT. If anyone cares to cheer me on. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bigwig
10-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Well, the 1:30 $20 is down to about 30. Dr. Physic and I are doing well.

Crap, just lost a huge hand.

stupidsucker
10-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I think this was fine. BB was in for sure and you only have to beat one person either the BB shortstack to get a guaronteed $$ or the other guy to double through even if the BB triples up.

Personally I at least minraise or 2.xBBraise here to get out any absolute crap or small aces. The BB is already in so you are almost locked into the $$ now. You want to be all in here, especially against the hand you were against, just had an awful beat.

RacersEdge
10-16-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm not seeing the point of limping if you are willing to call an all-in. Why not use the folding equity when you have it?

lastchance
10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
He has KK. Why the hell would you want folding equity with KK?! You WANT people to push with AK, AQ, KQ, and QQ-77. Making those hands fold is a BAD thing. You can't get AA to fold, but you can get 77 to fold. You DON'T want 77 to fold. That's why you limp.

That said, it does look awful suspicious if BB wasn't so short, so I would raise to disguise the fact I had a monster hand, but with BB so short, no need to raise, you can play a monster this way.

RacersEdge
10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
I would agree if not on the bubble with the SS about to go out. I'm saying sacrifice chip EV for money EV.

rjb03
10-16-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would agree if not on the bubble with the SS about to go out. I'm saying sacrifice chip EV for money EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who wants third place? Play for first.

codewarrior
10-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Yes. This was my though. Had I pushed - he may have folded. Doing what I did, I gave him a chance to bet out, so I could potentially gather enough ammo for later, and also do a little damage. (Edit: I didn't expect him to just push in like that).

For what it's worth, his holding was about what I had figured on, he hadn't gathered that monster stack by making good decsisions to that point.

Stoneii
10-17-2004, 09:39 AM
code

at least mention the best bit of the game though /images/graemlins/frown.gif Aguirre is a hunted man /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I liked the play, BB was just on fire though.

gg, well played

stoneii

codewarrior
10-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks - I thought we all played pretty well.

And the best part of the game was when we first sat down and looked around at ech other. I believe I said "well now..." and you replied along the lines of "goddamnit..." /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stoneii
10-17-2004, 12:41 PM
lol

yes, I jumped in without checking names and first thing I see is your good self immediately on my right and another 2+2'er 2 seats to my left - mmmmmmm. Also 2 other players with notes on and they weren't telling me they were rubbish. I think it was a case of, if I can't see the fish at the table it's me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

You notice that as soon as we started chatting the table became a steal fest as it tightened up /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well since you haven't posted it I'm going to let the forum know that Aguirre busted my AA with his 34o which more than halved my stack /images/graemlins/frown.gif

But, it was a good game but no-one was slamming the vodka in that particular game /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stoneii