PDA

View Full Version : In stud what I need to call on 4th street with 3 flush only

Lama
10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
What I need to call on 4th street with 3 flush only no 2 over card no top pair no 3 straight or inside straight.

Only based on implied odds and how do i caculate or estimate this (what are the needed condition like not be against ex not be against another possible flush or agaisnt a paired door card etc)

5$-10$ ante 50c bring in 2$

Suppose I play 2d 4d 6d against 6 limper + 1 bring in (very loose game)then im last to act and i get Jc someone catch an ace not suited he bet and everybody call but nobody catch a suited card nor pair is door card and 0 diamond are out can i call based on implied odds? If yes whats the break even point (in term of money in the pot and number of player in the pot needed)to call when nobody pair door card nor make 2 suited when 0 of my flush card are dead? 1 are dead?and if 2 are dead?

I made an estimate that the show down pot should be around 182$ to break even if i call on 4 th street and no double bet(bet + raise) on 5th or 6th when i dont catch yet(do i am right?)

So far I readed Roy west book Ashley Adams book(till page 116) Chip Jet in super system(but i must reread cuze its the first thing i read about stud and i never played stud when i read it and was not understading totaly so I bought roy book than My stud carrer was lunch i now play 5$-10$ stud for 2 week 3h to 4h a day and did 1000$+ I also have David book on stud and I read 27 page so far I also have read theory of poker till page 206(but i need to read this book a second time it is so good).

Thank u in advance to all the pros who will answer me !!

Andy B
10-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Not a pro, and not real big on math, but I humbly submit the following for your consideration.

The situation you are describing is marginal at best. The pot is very small, and your hand is weak. That said, if you are against very weak opponents, it might be worth taking a card off. Bear in mind please that this call is very marginal, and has the potential to get you into trouble. You wouldn't be giving up much, if anything, if you just mucked your hand. Some things to consider:

While this hand might and might not be worth one bet, it definitely isn't worth two. Ideally, you would want to be last to act, or to only have calling stations left behind you. If there are aggressive players or dangerous boards behind you, give it up.

The liveness of your hand is very important. With two of your suit out, I wouldn't even consider calling a bet, given that your hand has no high-card strength. With one out, calling might be OK.

The aggressiveness of your opponents should be taken into account. If fifth street is likely to get checked around, you may have a free shot at picking up a four-flush on sixth street. This adds a little to the value of your hand.

If the pot were somewhat bigger, that is, if it had been raised on third street, I would be somewhat more inclined to play. As it is, as a beginning player, you're probably better off avoiding these situations, and not watching to see if you would have made your flush. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The stud section in S/S is excellent, but it was written by Chip Reese, not Chip Jett. I don't know how old Jett is, but was he even born in 1978? I recently read the West book, and it has too many holes in it for me to recommend it. I recently started the Adams book, and it seems OK for the most part, but there were some dubious things in there. 7CS4AP is excellent, and you'll want to read it and TOP many times over.

Lama
10-17-2004, 04:23 PM
oh sorry yes Chip Reese! haha my mistake

Yes I think with a bigger pot if it as been raise preflop and im last to act it could be possible to call but i was wondering how large the pot should be and how much people should be in the pot to give enoughf implied odds with there loose call.

it is not a situation that often appen cuze most often someone will show 2 to a higher flush and i dont want to fight vs someone with a 4 flush or a 3 flush higher than my 3 flush.