PDA

View Full Version : disputed $8,000 No Limit pot ... opinions please?

05-16-2002, 03:18 AM
10-10-20 no limit holdem ... public cardroom.

Player A opens for $100 ... with a stack of $3000

Player B raises $300 ... making it $400 to go. Player B has about $6,000 in his stack

Player C reraises "all in" for a total of $2400.

Player A calls the raise ... and has another $600 in chips after the call.

Player B now flips over his hand A-A ... and announces that he calls .... he mistakenly was thinking that both Player B and Player A are "all in" ... and thus there will be no more betting. He was unaware that Player A still has $600 in chips.

Flop comes 2-4-10 rainbow. Player A tells the dealer to hold on ... and points out that he still has chips remaining ... thus he has the option of betting .. even though Player B has already exposed his pocket aces.

Dealer nevertheless burns and turns a Queen on the turn.

Dealer continues ... burns and turns a 3 on the river.

Player C turns over Q-Q ... expecting to take down the $8,000 pot.

Player A claims that since there was the potential for action on the flop ... both the turn and river card should come back into the deck ... and turns his hand over holding K-K!

Player B claims that he indeed made a mistake ... and should not have turned his hand over before the flop ... and thus would also like the opportunity to act on the flop.

Player C obviously has the best hand at the showdown ... and does not savor taking back the turn and river to let Player A take another few shots at trying to catch a King.

Floorman and house manager both are involved in the ruling ... and decide to take back both the turn and the river ... and allow Player A and Player B to act on the flop. Both Players check both the flop and the turn ... two blanks come .. and Player B end up taking down the $8,000 pot with a pair of Aces .... beating out Player A's pair of Kings ... and Player C's pair of Queens.

At the end of the day, Player B made a technical "mistake" by showing his hand early ... and was rewarded for this error by being handed an $8,000 pot that should have gone to Player C ... as the action on the flop was meaningless ... the exposed pair of Aces OBVIOUSLY killed any action ... basically Player A got another drawout opportunity ... and Player B was awarded a pot he had no business winning.

Was there any other ruling that the floorman could have made in this bizarre situation? I'm trying to keep an open mind .... obviously I was Player C ... and was somewhat upset to see the $8,000 pot pushed to a player whose technical error turned out to win a pot that he had no "right" to win. Comments?

05-16-2002, 06:22 AM
The fact that player A told the dealer to hold on but still didn't is the main problem is.

I don't know what player A would do, try to bluff him out of the pot with $600? Right. AA will call without a doubt. Assuming that action on the flop happened, the turn still would be that Q. I don't like the reshuffling as $600 was not that big of a factor anyways, and B lucked out that the house ruled in favor of him.

Although most places reshuffle the cards and burn and turn again when the turn is exposed too early, but I only agree with that if most players aren't all in and there *really* is considerable action on the flop that has the chance to knock players out.[ie/ in limit games] In this case, I don't see any one folding and with those hands and how it's played out, everyone was going to the river all in with those pairs.

-Joe

05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
When you heard the player tell the dealer to hold on, did you do anything to make sure the proper procedure was followed? If not, you have to take some of the blame. As far as the aces not having any right to win, some might say the same about a player who goes all in with the worst hand.