PDA

View Full Version : racist ads in wisconsin

edrugtrader
10-16-2004, 06:23 AM
i'm in wisconsin for vacation... over the past few week many people are assuming the election may come down to wisconsin. all tv spots are political spots. all radio spots are political spots. it is seriously a war zone. every ad seems to have a rebutal ad up right after it.

i listen to hip hop. since the debate, political ads fill the entire ad space for all of the local hip hop stations, targetting the black vote of course.

first off, i'm white. racism is a touchy subject, so please trust me when i say i find racism silly. i don't descriminate.

these ads however, are by black individuals who are making politics a black and white issue. isn't equality about breaking those lines?! i'm seriously hearing ads like "i heard that WHITE (their emphasis, implying it was the thing that really mattered) democrats voted to take away our school choice... why are these WHITE democrats making decisions for my family?!" from the bush camp, and equally insulting (and nonsensical) ads from the kerry camp suggesting we "break bush off".

the best was between a father and son...

son: i heard that republicans threw out black votes in florida
father: actually, the democrats did... and WHITE democrats at that...
son: but i thought they were supposed to be fighting for US!
father: you don't know who your friends are sometimes... i'm voting for bush.

again... making race an issue.

i don't think the average black wisconsin resident feels like this... if they would wish to segregate themselves in such ads, then how could they turn around and ask not to be segregated in other circumstances such as job hiring? it can't go both ways, and i don't think they want it to go the latter. wisconsin residents are too smart for this.

these ads are obvious political garbage, but i think the black actors doing the spots are doing a large disservice to society. they are asking voters to be racist... blatently. it sickens me.

vote nader.

Conor
10-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Did you listen to who paid for the ad? Unless it was an institution like the Black Republican Caucus of WI or something, then it's more likely that the commercials were written by folks who happen to be white. An actor being paid to do a 30-second radio spot is not at fault for the content of that ad. You have to look at where the money is coming from. This is with all probability an instance of lobbyists trying to manipulate Black Democrats into breaking party ties.

To say that race is not a politically significant issue is to ignore the persistent racial divides in our country. Race still matters, and it's an issue that's not going to go away. We need to openly address our problems [the socioeconomic plight of most minorities, for example] if we want to fix them.

That said, the ads do sound lame as all hell. I agree that they're cheap shots and not coo.

whiskeytown
10-16-2004, 07:00 AM
talk about desperate as hell...those republicans are so damn scared, they're actually trying a racist appeal to vote Republican....

hilarious....

RB

GWB
10-16-2004, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the best was between a father and son...

son: i heard that republicans threw out black votes in florida
father: actually, the democrats did... and WHITE democrats at that...
son: but i thought they were supposed to be fighting for US!
father: you don't know who your friends are sometimes... i'm voting for bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting that you consider racist an ad that mearly reminds people how Democrats wre actively disenfranchising military voters last time. And they are doing it again - in Pennsylvania, the Democrats have cut way down the time allowed for our soldiers to return their ballots. A lot of those soldiers are African Americans.

One might even call it racist to be blocking these voters from voting.

And what would you call encouraging a "culture of dependency" amongst African Americans. Democrats just want their votes, Republicans want them to achieve and grow out of the Democrat's system of entitlements that trap people in dependency. You have never seen a more committed Republican than an African American who has figured out how internally corruptive the Democrats' system is.