PDA

View Full Version : Stakes too low in PP no-limit?

05-15-2002, 12:20 PM
I've noticed that the most you can buy in for no-limit on PP is 100x the big blind. That's $50 in the .25/.50 game. Does this bother anybody else but me? Now I'm not adverse to winning $50 from an opponent, but that's not all that much. In a 2/5 no limit home game I play, the equivalent stack would be $500. That's also nice to shoot at, but a lot of my profit comes from occasionally shooting through a much bigger stack--$1000 or more. Of course the reverse sometimes happens, but hopefully not as often for the winning player. So, is the PP structure perhaps too constricting? Does it hurt your implied odds for certain types of hands? I'll sometimes intentionally play low, bad cards against a huge stack in my home game if I can do so cheaply . I figure the deception and implied odds make it worth while. But not for only 100x the big blind.

05-15-2002, 10:18 PM
the 100x rule is to protect the fish and people you can't afford to buy in with large amounts. Even though it may not be as good to the better player who can earn more, it is a rule generally made so that average players can have a chance to survive.

-MJ

05-16-2002, 03:04 AM
It's a different game, that's all. You just have to adjust your strategy. In a deep stack game, you can often see a flop with a very weak hand, even against a raise, in the hope of busting somebody with a big stack.

In this game you can't do that. You have to do different things to get their money.

But you can DEFINITELY get their money.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

05-16-2002, 07:15 AM
If you are sane, you do *not* want to play with vert big stacks *online*. Do you want to have a 300$ stack in a .25/.50 game where there could very well be a few colluding players?

Gatlif