PDA

View Full Version : Doubling the Blinds...

Go Blue
10-16-2004, 01:06 AM
I started playing on Pacific Poker a little, just to try it out. In general, I think the site sucks for all reasons other than having many players on it. Well here's my question: I noticed that, while true in general, I have noticed this to happen on Pacific MUCH more: People just raise the minimum. Now, I know that in some cases this is appropriate and I do this myself sometimes too, espcially if I want to raise the blinds in early position, but I see people raising the minimum so often after several people have limped in. This, in my opinoin, is very annoying especially when the blinds grow to a decent amount. I have seen, in multi table tourneys, and blinds being about 100/200 or so, people who are on the BB, raising to 400 after maybe 4 or 5 people limped. What's the deal? I don't get it. Why would people do this? They usually wind up giving the hand up on the flop anyway. I can understand such a move if you hold pockets, to try and build the pot for a big payoff if you hit, but this makes no sense to me to make such a move when the blinds are in the range of 50/100 and up.

Percula
10-16-2004, 05:13 AM
I play a lot of MTT SnG on Pacfic, make some good coin too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

What I have noticed...

1) 90%+ of the players there have no clue as to betting and raising, either in ammount or what to do it with or when to do it.

2) More than the minimum raise will often set off a wild exchange of all-ins where you have 3-6 people all-in. This is generally in the early stages and less so in the later stages, but still can happen. So if you make a 3x-5x BB raise fully expect to have at least one person go all-in on you.

3) When you wittle down the field, you will start to get into better players and many of them can laydown to a 3x-6x BB raise, but see #2...

You see some realy, realy bad play there. I do not know how many times I have seen 2-4 people in a hand with a uncordinated board with 600+ in the pot and see all of them fold to a minimum bet of like 50.

If/when you get to the higher buy-in >$50 SnG and >$100 regular MTT, you will start to find some very solid players. You will see a few solid players at the lower buyins too, but not near as many as at the higher levels.

Some words of caution... Pacific is going to deal you some bad beats, well not Pacific but the horible players sucking out on you. Your variance can and will go up as compared with more stable sites/players. However there is a "lot" of money to be made by a solid 2+2 style player in the small/micro limit SnG and MTT there. Their support is very hit and miss. The software is the worst out there, the one that really makes me mad is the one where someone will win and then be credited multiple times for the win, taking that T500 pot to T5000, which really sucks when there were only T16,000 in play before the hand. But on the whole, I make much more there than I lose, so I keep playing despite the support and software issues.

Go Blue
10-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Hmm, ok, so then it's not just me. It actually IS terrible play. That's what I figured. It was just odd to see SO many players doing it. I also see things like shrot stacked people calling a raise for 1/2 of their chips and then folding on the flop. Lol. And as for the beats, so far, every time I was eliminated from tourneys, I was outdrawn every single time. But still, I'm up decently so far, so I'll keep playing for a while.

n_mitch
10-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Keep in mind also that until about 6-8 mos. ago, there was no no-limit play on Pacific Poker. When no-limit was first available on the site, I don't think anyone knew that you could raise more than the minimum until I would do it at a table, then everyone would go crazy and go all in every other hand...lol. They get a lot of people from 888.com that know nothing about poker and just come to "gamble" playing poker.