PDA

View Full Version : Short Stack Play

redart
10-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Is this a topic that others that are dancing around when they are struggling?

I think I have a leak and am trying to reevaluate my short stack play when it gets down to 5 or 6 players. Overall I’ve had decent results at $20-30 SNG. 500 games – broken down in 100 game groups ITM 35-45% ROI 4 – 48% totals ITM 40% ROI 30% 4th-6th finishes 48%

I would say that I play weak tight early and if I get a chance to double up great. Otherwise I am finding myself shortstacked. Guess my question is two fold

First, when I get to 5-6 BB I am looking for an all-in hand, whether it’s a push or stop and go. What hands qualify? Top 10% of hands. Ax, Kx suited? Any pair? Or should I limp once in a while with small pairs, suited connectors?

Second, when my stack is ~2 BB I have been wondering if I should call a large stack “bet/steal” where no one else is probably calling(unless they have a real hand) and potentially triple up(my stack +1 1/2 BBs) with any hand that is probably not dominated Ax, Kx. Now I fold those hands. Not sure how to calculate expected chip value vs. expected tournament return and which really matters.

Realize that without specifics it’s tough to answer, but if anyone cares to help…

lastchance
10-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Your stack should NOT be around 2x BB. With 2x BB, you're raising with any 2, let alone call. Yeah, call a big stack steal, but I would rather see stealing. 3x BB folded to you in the SB is an autopush. Folded to you in the button, you can steal with any 2 if you have around 3x BB.

Steal, rob, go all-in and take blinds. ALWAYS play a good hand with folding equity, you can play ANY hand with folding equity, and play some hands without folding equity.

All-in hands depend on position, a lot. 5x BB - Folded to the SB, I'd steal with top 50%. Folded to the button, I'd steal with top 35%. Folded to CO, steal with top 20%. Top 10% is pretty dang tight. Even UTG 5-handed, I'd raise with at least top 15%.

Top 10 is more like calling all-in than raising it.