PDA

View Full Version : TJ's Omaha PL Starting Hands

05-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Are TJ's starting cards too restrictive? I played live for the first time today at the Binion's 5/5 Omaha game. I played for 4 hours and hardly played a hand as TJ says you should never play a hand with even one uncoordinated card. Is this correct, especially when you can limp in near the button with several callers for only 5?

I watched the 25/50 PL game and these guys were betting huge sums on hands with danglers making me think that TJ might be too restrictive?

Any thoughts?

05-10-2002, 10:34 PM
do you really think that tj's book is applicable to every pot limit game played in the world?

05-11-2002, 01:08 AM
I don't know - hence the question. I am new to the game. I am sure that you need to adjust your game according to how the table is playing.

However, there are some absolutes. For example, you never play 7,2off in a holdem game upfront. Maybe never playing a hand with a dangler in PL Omaha is an absolute. TJ sure states it like an absolute.

05-11-2002, 01:34 AM
"For example, you never play 7,2off in a holdem game upfront"

not even for advertising purposes /images/smile.gif and does this mean you play it around back !?

i'm not one to argue with tj (outstanding book), but if the players in your game are playing crap then you can loosen up and still be getting the best of it. but stick to hands that you can bet hard if you flop right, especially suited aces with two big cards.

05-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Actually, you can play 7,2off around back on some occassions. For example, you can raise with it on the button to steal from extremely tight blinds or in the SB to steal from the BB.

05-11-2002, 02:54 PM
but if the players in your game are playing crap then you can loosen up and still be getting the best of it.

I think this is an easy trap to fall into. If this is dk's first live PLO game, he might want to tighten up even more. I takes some time and experience (along with bankroll) to outplay maniacs after the flop in PLO. The sad fact of the matter is that you don't get to play a lot of hands in PLO. What makes it such a good game is that most people think you get to play more hands than in hold 'em.

The 25/50 game sounded pretty good, but remember, you don't want to join the fish, you want to feed off them.

05-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Stick to the four coordinated card concept - you can't go wrong with it. Experience will tell you how and when to vary your play.

The 25/50 game is a bit different than a 5/5 game. Stay away, unless your bankroll is about $50,000 a week.

-Zeno

05-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just watched Devilfish and some guy with an Ultimate Bet jacket each put in about $30,000 preflop in a 50/100 game.

Ultimate Bet Guy: A,A double suited

Devilfish: A,A and two uncoordinated cards!

They flopped and then chopped.

05-16-2002, 02:49 PM
DK,

It will prove useful to follow TJ's advice in this regard while you're learning the nuances of

PLOmaha;after you've acquired experience and knowledge, you can and should form your own opinions, in this or any other endeavour.

perfidious