PDA

View Full Version : Buying books - The Barbra Streisand Scam

wacki
10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I was watching O'reilly and they were talking about how Barbra Streisand and some other people buy large quantities of political books, specifically Moore, and Hillary Clinton books. Why would you do this?

Il_Mostro
10-18-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was watching O'reilly.. Why would you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, It totally baffles me too

wacki
10-18-2004, 04:33 AM
Haha, funny. Good 4 you, you got in your cheap shot.

Still, I've heard about this tactic from multiple news outlets, why do people do this?

Il_Mostro
10-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I have no idea, I just couldn't resist the open goal /images/graemlins/wink.gif
But then again, books is the type of comodity that has a "critical mass". When enough people has bought the book more people will by it just because of the fact that many others have bought it. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe not, pure speculation.

Cyrus
10-18-2004, 11:14 AM
I see you've been hanging out with Wogga quite a bit lately. Well, fair warning, I wouldn't go mentioning things like Barbra Streisand (or interior decoration) (or George Michael) (etc etc) around ol' Wogga.

He gets funny ideas.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MaxPower
10-18-2004, 01:05 PM
They would do it to put the book on the Bestseller list. I don't know if what you heard on O'Reilly is true. I don't put much faith in that show. But it would not suprise me if this tactic was used by both liberals and conservatives.

I believe that scientologists used to order a large number of copies of "Dianetics" to keep its sales figures high.