PDA

View Full Version : Question for Notorious Liberals Here

John Cole
10-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Why is it that so many of those who post here and espouse seemingly Liberal points of view, use what appear to be their real names?

Ray Zee, would you answer first?

Nepa
10-15-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ray Zee, would you answer first?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure the Ray Zee is a Liberal. He does live in Montana doesn't he? I believe that they shoot liberals up in those parts.

MMMMMM
10-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Interesting question, John.

I think liberals aren't as worried about certain things as some other types might be.

Here are a few possibilities:

Liberals are less likely to keep a gun in the house because they typically aren't as concerned about a home invasion.

Liberals might be less likely to worry about the federal government getting too powerful.

Liberals might be less likely to worry about some wacko getting incensed at what they've posted on an internet forum message board, and showing up at their home or place of business wearing a straw hat and a meat cleaver, or sending nasty defamatory notes to their boss at work.

Remember some years ago, when the excellent poster Dan _______ stopped posting here because someone was totally and falsely twisting his words to imply that he was a Nazi sympathizer/anti-Semitic? Dan became afraid that it might even negatively influence his career at some future date. If however he had been posting under an alias, he probably wouldn't have had reason to worry about it so much, if at all.

John Cole
10-16-2004, 09:48 AM
M,

Now I got a picture of some beefy guy in a straw hat in my head. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never considered that anything I would say here would have any ramifications beyond, perhaps, someone checking out a book or movie. I wonder, too, if those who espouse a more conservative/Libertarian point of view really worry about guarding their identity or if they simply prefer to use a screen name.

You think Ray is a liberal?

scalf
10-16-2004, 10:35 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif but hdpm, the forum's most famous liberal (aka; you do not even have the legal right to play golf at a private club with whom you want to..) does not use his real name to post...

perhaps lawyers,( who always lurk in the shadows; then spring to make multi-millions "protecting us from evil"; then run for 2nd highest office in the land)..are a major flaw in your thesis...

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MMMMMM
10-16-2004, 12:34 PM
"I wonder, too, if those who espouse a more conservative/Libertarian point of view really worry about guarding their identity or if they simply prefer to use a screen name."

It could be either, or, or a combination of both.

I feel perhaps a bit more free to be more outspokenin my views using a screen name, and if I ever get back to posting much on the poker forums, by using a screen name I won't worry as much about the unknown opposition lurking on the forums who might be getting an insight into my thinking which could be used against me in a game.

"You think Ray is a liberal?"

My impression is that he is not too far from an "older-style" sort of Liberal, but he is definitely not the Leftist sort of Liberal that has become so prominent today. By the way, I don't greatly disagree with most older-style Liberal positions; it is mainly the increasingly popular Leftist-style Liberal positions that worry me so.

pokerjo22
10-16-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My impression is that he is not too far from an "older-style" sort of Liberal, but he is definitely not the Leftist sort of Liberal that has become so prominent today. By the way, I don't greatly disagree with most older-style Liberal positions; it is mainly the increasingly popular Leftist-style Liberal positions that worry me so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that, because I don't disagree with most older-style Republican positions. It's mainly the increasingly popular far right neo-con positions that worry me so.

ACPlayer
10-16-2004, 12:55 PM
So conservatives are worriers and liberals are free spirits.

Reminds me of a talk I gave where I defined managers as people who worry about keeping what they have and entrepreneurs as people who worry about getting what they dont have. Conservatives are managers and liberals are entrepreneurs (in the idea market place).

John Feeney
10-16-2004, 01:35 PM

MaxPower
10-16-2004, 02:03 PM
What are these leftest style liberal positions you speak of?

I'd like to see if I agree with them.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-16-2004, 02:56 PM
I never even thought of not using my poker alias, but I posted here for almost 2 years before I even ventured into the political discussions. I used to post regularly on the CNN discussion boards and I used my real name there.

Cyrus
10-17-2004, 03:34 AM
"I never even thought of not using my poker alias, but I posted here for almost 2 years before I even ventured into the political discussions. I used to post regularly on the CNN discussion boards and I used my real name there."

You mean ...you're not really an alien?

I could swear on the basis of some of our posts that you are an alien from outer space.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rick Nebiolo
10-17-2004, 06:48 AM
John,

On a related note I've noticed very few Bush/Cheney bumper stickers yet quite a few for Kerry/Edwards, despite the fact I live in a relatively conservative county (Orange County, California).

I can't prove it but I think many conservatives correctly think their car is somewhat likely to be vandalized (e.g., a key scratch) by the anti Bush crowd. I don't think the opposite is the case.

~ Rick

Zeno
10-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Good point Rick. I recently posted about the break-ins of Republican offices in Washington State, an area known for its seething notorious liberals with their minds consumed by Righteousness, and their hearts full of Hate. Liberals always churn up the vilest instincts of their deluded and mindless followers.

-Zeno is his real name.