PDA

View Full Version : The 50 SnG Checkup

Knoler
10-15-2004, 08:36 PM
So, to the inevitable cries of "small sample size!" I wanted to post the results for my first 50 statistically recorded $10+1 Party SnGs. Any and all feedback would be appreciated as:

a) I'm curious how I'm doing compared to the 2+2 masses and...
b) I feel like if I can sustain "quality" results over the next 50 SnGs, I'm probably going to start dabbling in $20+2 SnGs.

One other note -- these aren't the first 50 SnGs I've played, it's just that I didn't keep records until Sept. 2004.

Played: 50 Party $10+1 SnGs
%ITM : 50%
ROI% : 47.27%
Avg Finish : 3.96
Results by place:

1st - 14%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 16%
4th - 6%
5th - 12%
6th - 22%
7th - 4%
8th - 4%
9th (ick) - 2%
10th - 0%

1st and 2nd used to be closer, but then I went on a run of 3 straight 2nd place finishes just recently. (Real nice to cash in three in a row, not as nice to finish 2nd in each.)

Feedback? Assuming bankroll not an issue, what's everyone think on trying $20 SnGs after another 50 games or so?

EDIT: Based on what's here, are there any areas of my game that look like they need work? What's to be made of the high % of 6th finishes?

Thanks,
-Brian

Texas Pete
10-15-2004, 08:52 PM
The real question is 'how will you handle your first losing streak', since you obviously haven't had one yet.
Can you handle losing a little money over 100+ SNGs? I mean psychologically, not bankroll-wise. Now that i've pissed on your Cheerios, go ahead and move up, so far so good!

bweiser8311962
10-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I just moved up from $5 to $10 at Party and have cashed more than half of my 11 so far, but no wins, which is very frustrating.

Try a few $20 and see if the level of play is any different to you. You are up $405 by my count in the 50 SNGs, so spend $100-$200 of it in $20s and see how it goes.

I had played a few $10s (2 or 3) a few weeks ago and didn't fare well, but after some more experience, I seem to be doing better.

By the way, I think that is an outstanding money rate you are making at the $10 tourneys.

Good luck

stupidsucker
10-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Texas Pete hit the nail on the head. Are you prepared to have a bad streak withiun 100 games? Or an even streak after 200?

SnGs can be very very mentaly exausting.

If bankroill truely isnt an issue then go ahead and try the 20s, they play the same for the most part. Dont be ashamed to move back down if things dont go well.

reddave
10-16-2004, 01:39 AM
Looks good so far.
My only comment is regarding your concern about 2nd place finishes. I used to have this issue so I began playin a good deal of heads up sngs (mostly play at UB, don't think PP has them). I also played a lot of 6 handed sngs (also UB). I found that this really helped my 10 handed play late. My reasoning was due to a lot of 4th and 3rds, but I think it could apply to you.
Also I haven't found much skill difference between 10 and 20 games.
Hope it helps, and keep it up.

ReDeYES88
10-16-2004, 10:27 AM
move on up. i don't think you'll notice a very big difference in opponent quality. some, but not a lot.
if you're a little bit nervous about the jump, then you could be selective about when you play. keep an eye on the number of players at the site, and jump right in when they hit 40k or so (typically at night u.s. time). i would probably advise against playing your first 20+2s in the middle of the day. higher ratio of good players to bad.

best of luck

Mez
10-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree with stupidsucker entirely. Your competition at the $20 level isn't much better (at all) than the $10. There is a few more good players at the $30 level though.

I would move up, don't be afraid to move down if you're not winning.

Knoler
10-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Can you handle losing a little money over 100+ SNGs? I mean psychologically, not bankroll-wise.

Yeah, I think I can. Knowing me, I'll get pissy about it, but knowing me I'll also be self analyzing like crazy, posting hands, etc. If it comes down to bad cards, it's bad cards. If it's me playing like an ass clown, I'll fix it.

Now that i've pissed on your Cheerios, go ahead and move up, so far so good!

Eh, never liked Cheerios anyway.
Thanks,
-Brian

Knoler
10-16-2004, 03:37 PM
My only comment is regarding your concern about 2nd place finishes. I used to have this issue so I began playin a good deal of heads up sngs (mostly play at UB, don't think PP has them). I also played a lot of 6 handed sngs (also UB).

Thanks for the suggestion. I would do this if I didn't have to join another poker site to make it happen. One part of that desire is simply laziness, but the other is that when I started doing this, the plan was to start a bankroll and not have to put any more money into it.

Since I'm trying to build a roll to move up to $20 SnGs and $2/$4 limit, I don't want to take any out right now, and I don't want to put any new money in at another site. (Just a principal thing.)

I think I'll try to focus on reading some more HU posts and analyzing my play a bit. I think the strategy I'm using works real well against some, but poorly against others and I need to learn when to adapt it.

Thanks,
-Brian

Knoler
10-16-2004, 03:39 PM
I would move up, don't be afraid to move down if you're not winning.

Sounds like a decent plan. I'll probably build a little bit more of a roll, and then split some time between $10 and $20 a little bit. If I keep doing well, then I'll stay up at $20.

Thanks for all the feedback,
-Brian

lorinda
10-16-2004, 03:40 PM
I would do this if I didn't have to join another poker site to make it happen

You could use play money.

Most heads up play games are very aggressive and you can limit yourself to a suitably short stack.

Lori

Knoler
10-17-2004, 12:58 AM
You could use play money.

Most heads up play games are very aggressive and you can limit yourself to a suitably short stack.

That's a pretty darn good idea. Usually I find dealing with play money players a completely useless venture. HU, though, it might actually be worthwhile. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks!
-Brian