PDA

View Full Version : Call or Fold? What would you do? (Party 10+1 SNG)

gusly
10-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

Learned a lot lurking here for a while. Thought I'd post this hand to see if anyone would have played this differently.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB <font color="purple">(bystander 1)</font> (t2108)
UTG <font color="purple">(bystander 2)</font> (t580)
<font color="C00000">MP <font color="purple">(punk #1)</font> (t307)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1745)</font>
Button <font color="purple">(bystander 3)</font> (t1500)
<font color="C00000">SB <font color="purple">(punk #2)</font> (t1760)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG <font color="purple">(bystander 2)</font> folds, <font color="CC3333">MP <font color="purple">(punk #1)</font> raises to t307 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, Button <font color="purple">(bystander 3)</font> folds, <font color="CC3333">SB <font color="purple">(punk #2)</font> raises to t1760 (All-In)</font>, BB <font color="purple">(bystander 1)</font> folds, Hero calls t1145 (All-In).

Flop: (t3912) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3912) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: (t3912) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3912
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1021 (t1021), between punk #1, Hero and punk #2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by punk #1 (t1021).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t2876 (t2876), between Hero and punk #2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by punk #2 (t2876).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 3: t15 (t15), returned to punk #2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
punk #1 has Ac 7d (one pair, aces).
Hero has Qs Qh (one pair, queens).
punk #2 has Kd Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: punk #2 wins t2891. punk #1 wins t1021.

<font color="black">
When Punk #1 raised all-in, I had been expecting that to happen no matter what cards he had. Plus I had almost 6x his stack. So I raised a decent amount. My big decision was when Punk #2, who had me covered, reraised all-in. He could have a monster, or could be making a play because he thought that I was making a play on the short stack.

I ultimately called, but was seriously considering folding, since I'd have 1145 chips -- more than 11x the big blind, with several hands left to go at this level. The fact that there were two much smaller stacks who were likely to go bust before me also entered into my thinking. So my choice was: call the reraise and either be dead or be in position to win the tournament by winning a huge pot and busting two players at once, or fold and be in position to finish in the money.

My primary question is: did my consideration of folding smack of being weak-tight or not playing to win, or would any of you have considered that option?
</font>

lorinda
10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
My primary question is: did my consideration of folding smack of being weak-tight or not playing to win, or would any of you have considered that option?

I think you did right by both considering it, and also by not doing it.

If you autocall here you are missing a lot of possibilities a lot of the time.

Lori

gusly
10-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Another question for when this happens in the future... Would folding be correct if there were 4 players left instead of 6? Or even 5 players left, with one short stacked?

I think if there were 4 players and this situation occurred, I would have folded. Would that be correct?

lorinda
10-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I think if there were 4 players and this situation occurred, I would have folded. Would that be correct?

Maybe if there's a very short stack on the table, but even then it's probably a call more often than a fold.

Basically there isn't much you can do when you have queens and there's only one reraise, you simply don't have enough info most of the time.

Of course, if the player is hyper-tight or something, or you feel you are 'certain' of money by folding, then it becomes a bigger consideration.

Sadly though, you'll often just have to call and pray, as the pot is pretty large and you will often be a big fave.

Lori