PDA

View Full Version : QQ, check or bet

joedot
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
10/20 Pacific

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG

I raise and it is folded to the BB who calls (probably will defend his blind with just about anything)

flop A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Now when he checks to you here, is it better to check behind since he probably isn't folding a better hand than mine, and if he is drawing I am likely a big favorite? This could be a leak of mine, because I pretty quickly bet this board, but now I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Ian J
10-15-2004, 06:57 PM
You have to bet here. He may very well fold a better hand(i.e. A5s or KJ), and you have the nut flush draw.

elindauer
10-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi joe,

The main questions to ask here is, will he fold a better hand? Since you describe the big blind as someone who will defend with almost anything, the answer is probably no. Thus, you should probably check.

As with all heads up battles though, the answer is very opponent-dependent. If he's calling with all kinds of hands worse than yours, you should of course bet.

Good luck.
Eric

Nate tha' Great
10-15-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi joe,

The main questions to ask here is, will he fold a better hand? Since you describe the big blind as someone who will defend with almost anything, the answer is probably no. Thus, you should probably check.

As with all heads up battles though, the answer is very opponent-dependent. If he's calling with all kinds of hands worse than yours, you should of course bet.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric,

I really hate checking here. For one thing, your opponent will call with all sorts of weaker hands. Stuff like J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif that's drawing incredibly thin against you.

For two things, you aren't all that concerned about a check-raise. You have 9 outs against a flopped flush and 11 outs against Ax or Kx. In fact, you might even consider 3-betting if check-raised.

Thirdly, there is some small benefit from a hand-protection perspective. A hand like 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif probably isn't putting any bets in here, not even as a bluff, but could spike a set if he catches a free card.

If there is some chance that an opponent will fold a better hand, then obviously that's another reason to bet, though I agree it's unlikely.

You *might* think about checking behind on the turn if he is somewhat tricky/aggressive and has just called on the flop, since a turn check-raise is a lot more costly (2 BB instead of 1, and you only get to draw once to improve). But I think it's an easy bet on the flop.

DyessMan89
10-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Definitley bet. Since he didnt raise pre-flop, I cant put him on a king with high kicker or an ace with high kicker. At best I think he could have A2, in which he'll probobly fold.

Saborion
10-15-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have 9 outs against a flopped flush

[/ QUOTE ]
By my count he has 7 outs against a flopped flush, but I'd still like a bet on the flop.

elindauer
10-15-2004, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For one thing, your opponent will call with all sorts of weaker hands. Stuff like J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif that's drawing incredibly thin against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the problem with giving a free card to these holdings? Hopefully, the turn is a heart!

[ QUOTE ]
For two things, you aren't all that concerned about a check-raise. You have 9 outs against a flopped flush and 11 outs against Ax or Kx. In fact, you might even consider 3-betting if check-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that betting isn't going to hurt you with his strong draw. But if I can't fold a better hand, what's the point? Why not encourage a reasonable opponent to stick around with a really weak heart draw?

[ QUOTE ]
Thirdly, there is some small benefit from a hand-protection perspective. A hand like 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif probably isn't putting any bets in here, not even as a bluff, but could spike a set if he catches a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free cards always entail some risk. One out in a small pot is about as small as it gets.

my 2 cents.
Eric

elindauer
10-15-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At best I think he could have A2, in which he'll probobly fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kind of player that defends with anything doesn't fold top pair on the flop. Nor should he.

Good luck.
Eric

mmcd
10-15-2004, 11:17 PM
But if I can't fold a better hand, what's the point?

If a call on the flop means QQ is behind it would be much better to take the free card on the turn.

mmcd
10-15-2004, 11:19 PM
He might fold Kx no heart

ActionBob
10-15-2004, 11:35 PM
I think he could have A2, in which he'll probobly fold.

Where do you people come up with this stuff? You cant possibly think a player will defend with A2, flop top pair, then check-fold?

-ActionBob

Steve Giufre
10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
This hand plays itself. Bet the flop, and if called check behind on the turn if you dont improve. Play poker on the river.

My biggest problem with checking behind the flop is that a lot of players will auto bet the turn into you in head up spots like this. You have the nut draw and hand that very well may be ahead. If you check and he leads into you on 4th, you'll be just of short of getting 4-1 to call a bet, and some of the time you'll be getting outplayed by somthing like a small pair with a heart if you lay down. If you are gonna take a free one, do it on the turn, not the flop.

SA125
10-16-2004, 12:09 AM
"Definitley bet. Since he didnt raise pre-flop, I cant put him on a king with high kicker or an ace with high kicker"

The poster raised UTG and the opponent is the BB. If you figure the only hands he'd 3 bet PF are AA-TT and AK, but he'd defend with almost anything, putting him on a hand or ruling out any A or K based on his flop check is probably stretching it.

I don't know if he'll call or not, so I'd bet because a c/r doesn't kill me and I might pick up a loose call.

warlockjd
10-16-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The main questions to ask here is, will he fold a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely. I think the question should be (a) will he call with worse hands and, to a lesser extent (b) will he raise with worse or better hands?

TStoneMBD
10-16-2004, 07:16 AM
if he defended with A2 and checkraises the flop, and you 3bet then lead the turn, i can see this guy folding this hand easily.

reubenf
10-16-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For one thing, your opponent will call with all sorts of weaker hands. Stuff like J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif that's drawing incredibly thin against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the problem with giving a free card to these holdings? Hopefully, the turn is a heart!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not understanding how that makes it okay to not collect the extra small bet on the flop. Please elaborate.