PDA

View Full Version : Home Game question

TPL
10-15-2004, 06:13 PM
For many, many months, my $10 freezeout homegame was very profitable for me. I am not an overly skilled player, but I do ok (I've read and apply most of the normal texts/strategies). I don't consider myself overly skilled because I need cards to win. Which brings me to my issue (sorta)

Winning in this game was usually accomplished by sitting tight and just calling when I had cards. I didn't even need to raise because I could count on someone else to lead at most pots. Lately, though, I haven't caught many cards. The guys I play with have become even more maniacal over the months. Normally, I'd see this as a good thing, but with 5-7 maniacs at the table I never know who has cards and who doesn't.

I've tried tightening up my play, raising back at them, even playing every hand myself. My sense is that I'm being ganged up on. When I tighten up and wait, I'm outchipped heads-up by 5-1.

Just wondering what you guys think about trying to educate them -- suggest reading, discuss strategy, explain odds, etc - in order to get them to think more and become more predictable. I don't need to slow them all down, just a couple. Basically run right over me and each other. Every hand becomes a crapshoot, it's wild, no-fold-'em stuff. When youo're not catching top 10 hands, it makes it tough knowing you'll probably have to go all-in EVERY time.

Nemesis
10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Wait for top 10 hands then. If they're maniacs let them hang themselves on your AA, and pray it holds up. Why do you think educating them will make it easier for you to win? Playing against stronger players makes it harder... not easier to beat the game.

ThinkQuick
10-15-2004, 10:33 PM
I would say don't educate them, unless you're their mother or something and you care for them.

Bad players are profitable for you, you just need to play correctly for the game. I'm not sure what the optimal strategy is for your game, but I can tell you that you were a helluva lot closer when you were 'sitting tight' then when you 'played every hand'. You're going to need to incorporate some raising and maybe loosen up a bit, I dunno, the point is you need to be a good player to be a consistent winner.

People go on bad streaks, real bad; it happens. Obviously you 'need cards to win' like you said and I don't see why your thougts that you 'haven't caught many' lately led you to playing crazier. But their crazy play is manageable. Getting called all-in when you're significantly ahead is good . But if you're worried about short term success then I don't know what to say except build big stacks. Make the pots you build real big with proper raising, etc. so that you aren't so outstacked.