PDA

View Full Version : hit my draw but folded anyway

Jon34
10-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Party $50 NL. I have ~65, two relavent opponents have around a buyin.
I have QTh in LP and limp. BB checks. 4 to the flop.
MP bets $1 into the $4 pot, I call.
flop is Kh Jd 3h
SB check raises up to 5. MP calls, I call.
turn is the Ace of hearts. SB checks, MP bets 10 into a 19 pot, I fold. Thoughts? Results to follow.

Swede
10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Did you really fold the absolute nuts?

Yobz
10-15-2004, 05:01 PM
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The only thing that can happen is a 2/4/5 of hearts coming and giving someone the str8 flush on the river or the board pairing to give someone the full house

Jon34
10-15-2004, 05:02 PM
oops
I had Qs Th, my bad on the typo. Sorry for the confusion. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jbrock
10-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Ok. This makes more sense. You have the nut straight and the third flush draw. I don't know if folding here is wise. You could be up against a set or two pair. My presumption is that you figured that at least one of the two (MP and SB) were on the flush draw and made it. The MP is the only one that makes sense as the SB check-raised presumably to push people off of the draw.

I think you are ahead enough times at this point to raise. Put in a miniraise and if you are reraised, let it go at that point.

Swede
10-15-2004, 05:13 PM
I would probably call here. IMHO, you will be shown AxJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif here often enough to make it a good call.

Zag
10-15-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you really fold the absolute nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that the Q was not a heart, just the T.

Jon, a little more effort in organizing your post would be appreciated. Remember, you are asking a favor of us. (For instance, put the flop before the flop action. I was puzzled by this for a while.)

Preflop: QTo is a little weak to limp with. But I often do it from late position, so I'm not going to criticize.

Flop: You flopped an OESD, so calling the 1/4 pot bet seems reasonable. Then calling the smallish raise is still reasonable, given that there is already one caller. But you can pretty clearly put MP on a flush draw, so you can consider that you have only 6 outs. Note that you still have implied odds to draw at them, I think.

Turn: If you decided on the flop that you only had 6 outs, then the turn didn't actually hit you. The fold seems fine. Probably the flush includes the Qh, so you would be drawing dead. Or he might have Qh Tx, and you are praying for a split. I don't think calling makes a lot of sense here, because he can put you all in on the river, or the SB might check-raise with his AA and put you all in right now. Getting out here is cheap and easy. If they were really overplaying some crap and you were ahead, then you'll get their money soon enough.

Jon34
10-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Again, I'm sorry about the lack of clarity in the original post. I tried to fix it on the fly but didn't do a good job. I
My thinking when I'll try to make future posts more clear.

That said, I think the key to this hand was MP's minbet on the flop and subsequent call. When people minbet like that, it sometimes means a TP no Kicker type hand, but more often its the draw trying to build the pot/get a cheap card. Then he called the check raise, which also goes in agreement to a flush draw.
Then on the turn he bet half the pot, despite being check raised on the flop. This indicated to me that he liked the turn card, so he either just improved to 2 pair or a flush. I felt that I was probably up against a made flush, and even if it was only two pair with a heart, he'd have plenty of redraws. In any case, it really seemed like a flush was the most likely holding, so I folded.
the check raiser called, and at showdown MP showed Qh3h.