PDA

View Full Version : Stealing the Blinds on the Button Late in Tourney

qattack
10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
$35+8 tourney (3 of that goes to tokes). I had also taken a $20 add-on. We had just condensed to the final table. Top eight spots are paid. Eighth place is 51 and the significant money jumps are fifth place, third place, and first place.

Blinds were 500/1000. I was 5th of 10 in chip position with 6500, barely edging out the other short stacks.

I got dealt KJo on the button and it folded around to me. SB has plenty of chips--he got lucky on another table, calling 84o for a raise and eventually being placed all-in against two players preflop and caught trip 4s. BB has 1200 in addition to her BB.

We had played four hands (I think) up to this point and the SB had folded every hand, so I figured he'd tightened up a bit for one reason or another.

What is my correct play at this point? Do I limp in, raise a small amount, or go all-in?

The lady in the big blind seemed to have been playing fairly tight and may fold her blind for a raise.

hurlyburly
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Odds are that you're pretty far ahead of him, but since he's shown to be somewhat of a maniac, he may be too aggressive at defending to raise (but since he's sb he may just let the BB decide).

I'd bet 2xBB here. I think he's less inclined to come after you if he can't bust you which might get him to lay down marginal hands. There's also the chance that they'll both call and you can push post-flop if you hit a pair or have 2 overs for higher implied odds.

If re-raised it's definitely showdown time for me.

Troy92
10-15-2004, 07:54 PM
You are most likely ahead of the blinds here. With less than 10xBB, I can't think of too many points in a tournament where I wouldn't be pushing all in with KJ from the button. You have an opportunity to increase your stack by 23%. If the blinds want to call, so be it. A maniac and a desperate shortstack are capable of calling with hands that you are ahead of. The more chips the better.

Bubble time is the time to accumulate chips to make a run to 1st place. I would push this hand from at least CO+2. You will usually take the blinds uncontested.

Lurshy
10-15-2004, 08:01 PM
I push. You have a decent hand, and are short stacked. The SB has tightened because he wants some of the short stacks to implode, and doesn't want to double them up.

If he decides to wake up and defend, so be it, you or may not be ahead. BB probably calls if SB folds, he has half his stack in the pot already, and the SB is coming.

If you do fold, plan to keep folding, as you may limp up a few positions, but that may be what the whole table is doing...

Play typically tightens 'on the bubble' as people don't want to miss the money. Here is a chance to improve your position. Take it.