PDA

View Full Version : Using your two plus two name on poker sites... Good or bad decision?

snowbank
10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm curious to what people think of using your 2 + 2 name on the sites you play at. For example, I use my name on the site I play at right now. Sometimes people recognize me and ask me if I'm the same guy that is on 2 + 2. I have had people say, "I better stay out of your pots". Is it good to have people know who you are, or is it better that you use a different name? Because if a player does not want to get involved in pots with you, that may give you some advantage when it comes to being able to bully them out of pots, but you would also lose the chance to take down a big pot from them. I have yet to set up a Party or Empire account, and am curious if I should use my "snowbank" name, or use a different name.

Grisgra
10-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Great question. I don't use my real name because then 2+2'ers could hunt me down and start raising the turn on me, watch me lay down 2nd pair like a bee-yatch.

On the other hand, anytime I spot 2+2'ers in the 5/10 games (e.g., Nottom plays the same hours I do) I know to avoid them, because there's probably less $$ in there for me in general. It's likely that both Nottom and I have profited from that. (I'd like to think he has, at least!)

Final point: I can't remember their names, but I have played with other 2+2'ers that didn't know I was a 2+2'er, I'm guessing, and I DID take advantage of the fact that the average 2+2'er can make tougher laydowns. In other words, raising the turn against them with a total bluff is more likely to win you the pot, because

1) 2+2'ers are more aggressive, willing to take the lead with nada, and
2) 2+2'ers are more likely to lay a marginal hand down to aggression.

Of course, if everyone else knows that everyone else is a 2+2'er, then the mind games can begin . . .

I guess my advice is to use your 2+2 name, so that I can avoid you, and so that if we end up in the same game, I can bluff you more easily than the random player /images/graemlins/smile.gif. (The first is much more likely than the second, though. I'm not looking to play King of the Hill!)

theghost
10-15-2004, 02:44 PM
If everyone knows that everyone else is a 2+2er, let the lagfest begin! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
I made my Party and Empire accounts before I joined 2+2 so I've always been easily recognizeable at the tables. I recently switched to Eurobet and got a new Empire account and chose incognito monikers on both. I like it much better. I have no clue whether it is or is not beneficial; all I know is that it gives me more peace of mind.

GoT

turnipmonster
10-15-2004, 03:07 PM
I am not very secretive about my usernames, but don't use my 2+2 name. I don't mind 1 or maybe 2 other 2+2ers at the table, because tight players tend to sort of stay out of each other's way, but I do checkraise 2+2ers way more than I do non 2+2ers, because most people on 2+2 hate to miss bets.

--turnipmonster

Ryner
10-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I use this name for everything. I dont think my being here would inspire fear at the poker table, since, you know, I'm just not fear-inspiring... and I really dont think anyone is gonna say "Wow, are you the same Ryner that plays Call of Duty? You're darn good with the BAR, I better stay out of your pots."

scrub
10-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I have a feeling we pay CRs off too much too, at least I'm pretty sure I do.

scrub

Anadrol 50
10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
I use other people's 2+2 names...

snowbank
10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
hahahaha

Nottom
10-15-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, anytime I spot 2+2'ers in the 5/10 games (e.g., Nottom plays the same hours I do) I know to avoid them, because there's probably less $$ in there for me in general. It's likely that both Nottom and I have profited from that. (I'd like to think he has, at least!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The way my game has been recently, I'm not sure I could profit if my opponents all played with their hands face up. If I were you, i'd put me on your buddy list and join everyone else in taking my money.

MicroBob
10-15-2004, 07:34 PM
At first I used different names because I was so embarrassed with my awful play that I didn't want 2+2'ers responding to my posts...."hey Bob.....you played some really LAGgish hands against me the other night. Honestly dude, you desperately need to tighten up."

Now, I don't really care very much and some 2+2'ers have been able to identify me on a couple of different sites.

When I am playing at a site with one of my less identifiable names I find it to me quite the advantage to know who the 2+2'ers are when they don't know who I am.
They should identify me as a reasonably solid player soon enough....but I already know who they are right when I sit down at the table and can make appropriate adjustments when we're competing for the same pot.

I'm not able to make a whole ton of money off of them regardless of the adjustments I might make....but I can probably save a bet or two on occasion when I know with absolute certainty that his raising and limping standards are decent.

sthief09
10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use other people's 2+2 names...

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan plays as SthiefO9

davidross
10-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't see what difference it makes. If you play well, the other good players will know soon enough. WHen I started playing at Empire I couldn't use davidross and I didn't notice any difference in my games because of my anonymity.

NLSoldier
10-15-2004, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently switched to Eurobet and got a new Empire account

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you go about making a new empire account...did you close your other one or make a new one using differernt info, or do somthing else /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mason Malmuth
10-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Hi snowbank:

It's always been my opinion that for limit hold 'em a tight image is better. You are describing something that might convince a few people that you are tight.

In no limit hold 'em there's no question in my mind that a loose image is better. You can take it from here.

Best wishes,
Mason

whiskeytown
10-16-2004, 04:41 AM
I have no problem with it...but of course I also have the [censored] eating grin on Pokerstars.

actually, I used my poker name on 2+2 as I played online a ways b4 I started posting on 2+2

I may change it though...Ryan Adams is becoming such a [censored] wanker. -

RB

Malone Brown
10-16-2004, 04:55 AM
do they hassle you getting a new empire account?