PDA

View Full Version : checkraising versus straight betting

joedot
10-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Fairly loose, semi-aggressive 5/10 on Pacific. This particular hand is unraised, with 4 limpers to me in the BB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

flop K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I lead, get a button call, and then take it down uncontested on the river. Turn was another club btw.

Do you play this in this way, or do you attempt a checkraise on the flop, even though there was no preflop sign of strength by anyone? Thanks for your insights.

CanKid
10-15-2004, 01:48 PM
I lead, I don't want to risk giving free cards on this draw heavy board.

sqvirrel
10-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I think you hamstrung yourself a little by not raising pf. Raise pf, get four callers and you have a pot worth taking down when you flop top pair (or better).

But to answer your question I'd lead out. And keep on betting. You will always drag a K along and often drag a J.

Nate tha' Great
10-15-2004, 02:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with playing it this way.

Saborion
10-15-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you hamstrung yourself a little by not raising pf. Raise pf, get four callers and you have a pot worth taking down when you flop top pair (or better).

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to raise KJo in the BB against 4 players?

DyessMan89
10-15-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to raise KJo in the BB against 4 players?

[/ QUOTE ]

KJo is a good hand, not amazing, but good. With 4 limpers and no raise I would assume noone has a great hand, so raising here would limit the field, and/or possibly take down the pot right there. (although unlikley)

Only problem is your in pretty bad position.

ActionBob
10-15-2004, 03:45 PM
"raising here would limit the field, and/or possibly take down the pot right there. (although unlikley) "

I'll go beyond the word unlikely in this spot and say its nearly impossible. You cant possibly think there is ANY chance of either winning this pot here or even limiting the field, can you?

-ActionBob

ActionBob
10-15-2004, 03:46 PM
I'd bet out hoping to get raised. Many of the hands that will bet (if you are trying to check raise) will raise you anyway so you can get in 3 bets.

-ActionBob

bernie
10-15-2004, 05:38 PM
What would you hope to accomplish with a c/r that isn't accomplished by just betting out?

b

joedot
10-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Wow, I can't beleive you are suggesting a raise from the bb with this. In this same game I have seen numerous limps with KQ and AQ, even AK. And this has been a real problem not just at this table, but at many of the games I have been playing lately. Not sure raising an easily dominated hand preflop here is such a good idea, but always enjoy hearing other peoples points of view.

joedot
10-15-2004, 07:20 PM
The point of a checkraise here could be two fold I suppose. To build a bigger pot, and possibly to reduce the field. Am I overthinking here? It's funny, I always start to question my play when I'm running bad, and maybe I'm just overanalyzing, and should go back to straightforward play. Imo, constantly adapting your game can be very important to long term success, but could also be fixing something that isn't broke, which could be bad too.

Bob T.
10-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I bet out, just like I did in the SS forum.

Saborion
10-16-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so raising here would limit the field, and/or possibly take down the pot right there. (although unlikley)

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt it would limit the field, and the day you're able to take down the pot right there it's far away.

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem is your in pretty bad position.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the possibility of being dominated by AK/AJ?