PDA

View Full Version : Trusting reads at low limit online

Ghazban
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
In the past few days, I've paid off some hands online where I had a strong feeling I was beat. My justification every time was that, with the poor play in these games, my opponents could just as likely have a smaller overpair rather than a set (all 4 of them involved overpair vs. flopped set).

Now, most of the hands I play, I don't put my opponents on a specific hand but, rather, a range of hands. All in all, I believe this is an excellent way to play poker. However, when you get a strong gut feeling, do you go with it or do you continue to play against the range of hands? In live games, I follow my instincts almost all the time and, when the cards are shown, I'm right far more often than not. Online, however, I don't trust my ability to make a read because I can't actually see the guy I'm playing with. Sure, things like bet size, bet timing, chat box gibberish, etc. are all useful ways to gain information but, in my opinion, far less information is available than in a live game.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to if other people here follow their instincts against the (generally) poor play of the low stakes online no-limit crowd or if you always play the range of hands they might have.