PDA

View Full Version : Part 1: What do u think of his call?

05-03-2002, 08:03 AM
PP 0.5/1 NL HE

2 limpers for $1 to me in MP with... well u try and guess it. I make it $6 to go (my stack is $103). Next one calls, cutoff (with QsQd - and $95) calls, sb, bb and one of the limpers call too.

pot $37, 6 in the pot.

Flop: 2h Jh Td

checked to me. I bet $50, folded to QQ-guy who, after a long pause, calls.

What do you think?

05-03-2002, 08:12 AM
All others fold.

pot $137, 2 in the pot.

QQ-guy have $39 left and i have him covered.

I have KsKd.

The QQ guy is kind of loose and i have taken his stack two times at NL the last couple of weeks. He must be abel to remember me, we have played several 100 NL-hands - he must know Im serious.

I cant believe he has a set - he would go all-in on the flop. AA and KK would have reraised pf - even him. So whats left? JT (should go allin), KQh or could he be on AJ? I simply cant figure what other than AJ or KQh he can have. He cant be on a pure flush or str8 draw. I think AJ is most likely maybe in hearts.

Turn: [ 2h Jh Td ] [ Ah ]

aaarrgghhh. What a hater. I really dont like it. This must be the worst possible card out there.

I check, he instantly bet his last $39.

Well, thats what he should do anyway. I haven't any chance to win this pot, have i? ahhh, maybe.... if i was mistaken about him. Could he have JT or maybe KJ. I have 4 str8 outs or the board can pair or a K.

What the.... i make a crying call, too much in the pot to let it go for $39 to this guy, he has surprised me positive before.

Pot $212

River: [ 2h Jh Td Ah ] [ Qc ]

Guess we both felt relieved for a second.

What a river! And it changed nothing!

I never once thought he could have called my flop-bet with QQ. What can he expect to beat??

Any comments appreciated.

Chr

05-03-2002, 08:14 AM

05-03-2002, 12:48 PM
isnt this a bet or fold situation for him? After his call he has $40 left with a $130 pot. He cant fold any more.

If I am right, I have a question: What is the difference here between call and raise? Is it about this hand (if you are bluffing, you will fold and cant catch a miracle turn) ? or is it about future hands (to protect your future bluffs) ?

Gatlif

05-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Sure it's a terrible call - he can beat nothing but a bluff here unless you gave him reason to believe that you are capaple to raise two limpers with hands like KQ or AJ or maybe even a random AXs, but even in this unlikely case he should have reraised preflop to isolate and define his hand.

cu

Ignatius

05-03-2002, 01:38 PM
> isnt this a bet or fold situation for him? After his call he has $40 left with a $130 pot. He cant fold any more.

He cannot, but his opponent might. But you're right that a call only makes sense if he intends to bet the turn, no matter what (consider how Chr would almost have folded the winning hand when the Ah turned. Also, if he read Chr for a semi-bluff with e.g. KQo, he might be able to take the pot on turn but would certainly be called on the flop)

He still had a clear fold, but since he decided to play, calling and betting the turn is a strong play in this situation (i.e. coordinated board and a remaining stack of less than 1/2 the pot).

cu

Ignatius

05-03-2002, 10:44 PM
If I called your $6.00 preflop bet with QQ and got that flop, I'd move all in. Other than a Q,what better flop was he hoping for with his hand? In fact, with QQ, I'd probably move all in rather than just calling you preflop. You probably aren't so tight a player that you have QQ beat more than 40% of the time you bet $6.00 preflop. With QQ, I want to either get it all in or win it right there. If I lose it, so what? I get the value from people seeing that I move all in against raisers with a lot less than the "nuts" so that I get more action down the line when I have AA or KK. The beauty of big bet poker is that you can keep coming back as long as you have money left in your pocket to rebuy. How many times has this player taken all YOUR money, you didn't say? I think he was too passive in this instance, never really putting you to a decision preflop. His betting the turn is indicitive of his believing he can move you off your hand if you have no ace. If he had another $1,000 and you had $700, I bet an all in turn bet would be +EV for him when all you have is KK. He shouldn't have tried to save the $39.00 on the flop or the $89.00 preflop.

05-04-2002, 05:29 AM
I agree with you in the preflop action. He could be more agressive here. But on the flop he is not first in, i think thats what i dont like. He is facing an overbet to the pot from the preflop raiser, who also overbet the pot there. Then he have to think what he can beat. And what is that? Only a semi-bluff. And there is not many of them that makes him much of a favorite. My bets also indicate big pair (AA-TT), he just have to take that into account too. His QQ is pure garbage in my opinion. He can't even hope to improve. I would save all my $89 on the flop but perhaps not preflop.

And he of cause have to bet the turn after his flop call, like i have to check it. If i bet he will only call with the best hand, but bet any hand.

And by the way..... he hadn't taken my stack before. But...... sigh, he did yesterday and precisely as you said, I gave him action because i knew him as loose and he caught a river house and beat my str8. I simply didnt believe him at the river when he threw in his last chips because, he had no choise other than to bet when the board paired. (again he called all the way)

05-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Chr,

He could have put you on AJ or A10 suited. He could have thought AK or AQ or even KJ suited or 99. Probably all he thought about was " I have an overpair to the board and I'm going to call and see what he has."

What I usually think about when I'm in those types of situations is whatever it takes to let me go ahead and do what I'm predisposed to doing. Loose players make loose calls. In the final analysis, he played it poorly and you were fortunate that he called your flop bet. If you normally play in games where his play was one of the poorest plays of the session, you are in a real tough game.