PDA

View Full Version : Would I be a fish at the WSOP ME?

betgo
10-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Poker is my primary job and my strongest games are NLHE and PLO MTTs.

I figure that if I played in the WSOP I would be above the median level, with all the internet qualifiers and wealthy fishes.

However, I don't see it as EV+, since by the time you get to the cash, the field will be quite strong. The final table is where most of the money is in a tournament, and I don't think it would be easy to make that final table or even second table.

I will probably make some effort to win a seat online and will buyin if I have plenty of money, but it would be more for the experience than as a winning gamble.

Does anyone disagree with this?

0evg0
10-15-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm really good too! Can I get a round of applause as well?

hurlyburly
10-15-2004, 11:38 AM
I think next year is gonna be the year for Omaha. If you're hitting big on that, why not spread the cash over those events and some of the lower buy-in NLHE events instead. Then you can gauge it without committing to the free-for-all the ME will be. I can't imagine how anyone won't be a fish if they see the 4000+ entrants they're planning for. Even a 200+ HORSE or Omaha Hi tourny sounds soft by comparison.

SossMan
10-15-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think next year is gonna be the year for Omaha. If you're hitting big on that, why not spread the cash over those events and some of the lower buy-in NLHE events instead. Then you can gauge it without committing to the free-for-all the ME will be. I can't imagine how anyone won't be a fish if they see the 4000+ entrants they're planning for. Even a 200+ HORSE or Omaha Hi tourny sounds soft by comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

every year for the last 10 years has been dubbed "the year for omaha"

hurlyburly
10-15-2004, 11:52 AM
That is great news! I was afraid the field would start getting good now that I've got a handle on the game, so you laid my fears to rest! Thx, Soss.

davidross
10-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't think anyone can decide to play just the WSOP and expect it to be a money making experience. THere just aren't enough events for the "long run" to come into effect even if you are a +EV player. You might get good cards and make some money, but it's more likely you won't.

If you have the bankroll to follow the tour all over the world and play 100's of tournaments then if you are above average you might expect to come out ahead, but just trying one toournament is gambling.

Go for it, have some fun, and maybe you'll make a killing. plan to play side games, where you probably should expect to make enough to cover your entry fees and have a ball. I had such a good time this year and I only played satellites and side games. I plan on going back each year now.