PDA

View Full Version : I just wanna be LOVED...

05-01-2002, 06:10 PM
How can you change an image that has been cultivated over several years?

Situation: I've played for several years in a weekly home NL game. Eight handed from about 13 (semi)regular players.

Problem: My image is that of being a very knowledgable, tight player. While in the past, this may have annoyed some of the players (I had small but consistent wins and never lost big), after I became "the big winner" 4 weeks in a row, I'm getting "abuse" both at and away from the table from certain players. One of them even mentioned banishment, and I'm certainly not having a lot of fun.

Comments from a couple of players, of "oh HE'S in a hand - I'm getting out", "if he's raising, he must really have something", "he lost a pot? I can't remember that ever happening", and crap like that is starting to get to me.

While not everyone is against me - for example, when I won a pot of HE with 8-9 off in early position by flopping a straight, my good friend (who I beat on that hand) starts yelling, "now you guys have done it. He's gonna loosen up, and he'll REALLY kill us then" - the point is, I'm getting a lot of attention, and I'm not really comfortable with it.

By nature I'm a fairly quiet person, with a dry/sarcastic sense of humor.

The options I'm considering are:

a) get a personality transplant.

b) take time off from the game.

c) loose a bunch of dough playing stupid -everybody loves a loser.

d) declare "war", retaliating in kind for every smart ass comment that comes my way.

I don't really like any of these options. I'll probably just cut back on how much I play, hoping the comments go away as other stories develop.

My buddy says "f***-em". They're just sore cuz they're not winning and you are. Play however you want.

Any suggestions welcome. Don't just say "loosen up". I understand my image, and wouldn't have been able to be the big winner four weeks in a row if I wasn't looser than what most of the players give me credit for. My problem seems to be, now I need to get credit for it.

"I just wanna be LOVED, is that so bad?"

05-01-2002, 09:21 PM
I believe it was Al Capone(forgive me if I'm wrong) that said it best. It's better to be feared than loved, because fear lasts longer. Or something like that. I say screw em and keep on bustin' their stacks. Just make sure not to be snide when you take down a pot. Sincerely congratulate them on their magnificent playing when they crack your aces. Just whatever you do don't stop playing because of a few sore losers.

05-02-2002, 01:07 AM
Wait until the cards go cold a while, which clearly has not happened yet, that will solve everything.

Except the part about not having fun.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

05-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Not a lot of people understand that poker, especially home poker, is a lot about politics and not just skill. We have banished a player from our home game because he was so tight and thought so long and hard about his decisions that he made all the other players play better and more seriously. Obviously that is no fun for anybody. We don't invite this guy back anymore, and he probably wonders why, but it's cause he just doesn't get it. You have to give action to get action, especially when you're in someone else's game. I win a lot of money in this game only because I do not extract money at a maximum rate, I play around, do some stupid things, put on camouflage so I look like one of the gambling boys.

05-02-2002, 03:02 PM
you must be a duck. Jen said "I play around, do some stupid things, put on camouflage so I look like one of the gambling boys." Since when do you have to give action to get action? I want all the rocks and the psuedo gambling boys in my game I can get. Please give me a predictable player over a group of 9 maniacs any day. The rock I can easily outplay, the maniac I must be able to outguess. If I wanted to play guessing games I might as well go join the carnival and hand out plastic beads for a living.

Just my opinion,

Jimbo

05-02-2002, 04:17 PM
Take up a different hobby if you want to be loved.

Poker is all about beating the other guy. Not many people enjoy being beaten, and they generally don't feel particularly wonderful towards the beater.

05-02-2002, 04:53 PM

05-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Nicholi Machiavelli actually. Its better to adopt a policy of being feared rather than loved as you can force a man to fear you but cannot force him to love you. If you aim to be loved the decision is in his hands rather than yours.

I say don't be unpleasant, don't be churlish. But DO put a few plays on them - that they can see. You should be able to put these guys on real tilt. THEN you can clean up. THEN you can get banned!

They don't like you because you're playing good poker? Stuff 'em. Skin 'em and leave 'em.

05-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Thx to all for input. I think Nate said it best- the cards have stopped running me over. As a result, this is mostly taking care of itself.

What I've learned from this, is that politics do matter in a home game. You don't have to be friends with everyone, but you need some allies to back you up if things get tough (in life, as well as in poker).

Like one of the other posters said, I am looking forward to continuing to improve my play (reading, taking notes and thinking, and listening to you guys), then REALLY running them over!