PDA

View Full Version : Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Ciaffone and Brier

josh1122
10-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier. What's the deal with this book? I have never even heard about it until I was browsing the cardplayer website earlier. Is it worthwhile or is the 2+2 lineup still the best bet? Anyone read this or even heard of it? (Or has this book been thouroughly discussed long ago and it is just before my time?) I used the search feature and discovered nothing.

uuDevil
10-15-2004, 12:54 AM
It's a good book. Advice tends toward weak tight.

See Mason Malmuth's review. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=books&Number=218501&Forum= f19&Words=Brier&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=218499& Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=3&daterange=1&newer val=5&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#P ost218501)

Also try using the following search terms (or similar):

"+Ciaffone +middle +book -Re:"

Just be sure to select a date range of "newer than 1 year" and you'll see several threads where it was discussed.

Moyer
10-16-2004, 02:44 PM
It's a very good and thorough book. One of just a few outside of 2+2 that I would recommend.

helpmeout
10-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Its a good book, will help you avoid trouble.

There are a lot of examples as well which is useful.

Definately worth getting and yes it is a bit weak/tight but everything is compared to SSH.

Rudbaeck
10-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Their advice makes alot more sense if you apply it to no limit. They seem mortally afraid of flush over flush situations for example. (Actually their advice makes the most sense if you play pot-limit omaha, where it actually _is_ a sin to call a bet drawing to anything but the nuts.)

Despite that it's a great book. I learnt alot from 'arguing' with the authors. And most of their advice is correct, you just have to sort it out.

Also, after heavy studies of SSH it's good to get back to a book that atleast sometimes recommends folding. /images/graemlins/wink.gif