PDA

View Full Version : The fish were biting but I couldn't set the hook.

steamboatin
10-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I returned to the Grand Victoria in Rising Sun tonight and they played just as bad as last time. Unfortunetly, I experienced the worst run of cards ever, or at least so far. I sure it can get worse.

I played four hours and in the first two hours I called the big blind twice. It was three hours before I won a pot. I ended up down $210 after four hours of play. In that time I did not get dealt a pocket pair. I had AKo once, AJo once, KQs once and like maybe ATo twice. It was all 24o 63o and etc.

Obviously, I didn't play well with the few cards I got or maybe it was just normal variance and my turn to lose. Sometimes, you just don't win.

The play was amazingly bad. Very agressive preflop and weak tight post flop. They capped the betting (5-10 holdem) preflop and then all check the flop. One time they capped the betting preflop and the winner turned over J9o for a full house when a J came on the river.

I raised preflop with AJo with six callers and the flop was KQ8 rainbow. I figured my only chance to win was bet so I bet every round and everybody folded except one guy and He turned over A8o. He called my raise with A8o and called every bet with bottom pair, I guess trying to hit with his ace for two pair. I don't know who played worse. Me for betting with nothing or him for calling to the river with bottom pair.

I think I will make a poll.

DimensionPresident
10-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Given the very low amount of hands you've played your table image to any player who know's what he's doing says to fold bottom pair.

AK, AQ, KQ, TT-AA seem very likely hands to put you on. Unless this guy got some kind of read, I don't think he should have called down.

AncientPC
10-15-2004, 03:16 AM
You're trying to bluff a calling station . . .

gregdillon
10-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking about going down there this weekend. Is 5-10 the lowest they spread? Should I call ahead to get on the list (I'll be going Sat. or Sun. morning).

steamboatin
10-15-2004, 10:26 AM
5-10 is the lowest. They won't let you call ahead to get on the list, I already tried.

They have four tables at the moment and are supposedly getting two more. Last night they had 3 5-10 holdem and one 5-10 stud game. They will spread 10-20 and 20-40 if there is enough interest.

They charge a $5 seating fee which is different from anywhere else I have played.

I am currently in the lead in the stupid poll.

DimensionPresident
10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're saying the guy was right for calling all the way down with bottom pair, then they're probably the kind of people that would also call all the way down with bottom pair themselves... and the only thing you can hope for is that people like that end up sitting at your table.

bconway6
10-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Steamboatin, you said that the play was extremly bad. Yes he was giving his money away by calling you all the way. He should have 'known' that you had at least middle pair to beat him. You should have. You can't bluff out 6 bad players in a single pot. You hadnt been playing many hands so its quite probable that instead of them figuring you to be a rock who only bets with the goods, they didn't even notice you at all. Therefore your image is of no use to these bad players.
I, for some reason, get the urge to try the same move after a lousy run of cards and every time im kicking myself for giving MY money away by trying.
This is one thing that seperates the winners from the loosers in holdem, adapting to other players in the game and their skill level.

steamboatin
10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
You are right, but in low limit holdem, you have to have cards to win and if the cards don't come and sometimes they don't, you are not going to have a winning session. I couldn't get dealt a hand so I made one attempt at stealing a hand.

The first time I played there, I played two hours and and left up $299 but I was getting good starting hands and cards were running better than average. When I say that I mean as an example, if you flop a nut flush draw you can expect to make that flush about 35% of the time on average per NPA Ed Miller in SSH. In four hours of play, I never completed a flush draw not unusual or outside of reasonable expectations but also chips down the tube that didn't come back.

eh923
10-15-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are right, but in low limit holdem, you have to have cards to win and if the cards don't come and sometimes they don't, you are not going to have a winning session. I couldn't get dealt a hand so I made one attempt at stealing a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...players a lot better than you or me have losing sessions. Dealing with that fact is important. You can only play your best (which it sounds like you didn't), and in the long run, you'll be way ahead of people who call down bottom pair on a scary board.
[ QUOTE ]
In four hours of play, I never completed a flush draw not unusual or outside of reasonable expectations but also chips down the tube that didn't come back.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate it when that happens...but it happens. Some days, they'll hit everytime. It's just something you have to deal with.

pistol78
10-15-2004, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're saying the guy was right for calling all the way down with bottom pair, then they're probably the kind of people that would also call all the way down with bottom pair themselves... and the only thing you can hope for is that people like that end up sitting at your table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truly you have no idea what you are talking about. Trying to bluff a CALLING STATION in low limit (no foldem holdem) is absurd.

Al_Capone_Junior
10-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Luv your poll title!

"who is stupider?"

classic.

al

steamboatin
10-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Inside the Poker Mind arrived today and I am only on page 27 and it has answered my poll. Steamboatin is stupider for betting.

I carried a semi-bluff to far.

steamboatin
10-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Inside the Poker Mind is a great book but it isn't doing much for my selfesteem.