PDA

View Full Version : Are you a human lie detector?

phishfan
10-14-2004, 09:27 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/14/science.liars.reut/index.html

Talk2BigSteve
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
This is a very interesting article.

"She and her colleagues have so far screened 13,000 people for their ability to catch a liar on videotape. "We found 14 people who we called ultimate experts," she said."

I wonder how many of the 13,000 ever sat at a poker table???

Living, Learning, and Laughing
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

phishfan
10-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I wonder what the results would be if she just tested top live players.

spamuell
10-15-2004, 04:27 AM
I don't know how this was carried out but it seems clear that if you showed a bunch of tapes to a bunch of random people who each completely guessed whether someone was lying, there would still emerge a small group who would get the right answer over 90% of the time.

phishfan
10-15-2004, 04:58 AM
Is it possible to carry out a study like the one mentioned in the article where luck is not the most likely explanation for an above average score?

challenger84
10-15-2004, 09:33 AM
I think you are exactly right. I don't remember how to do the calculations (damn marijuana) but I'm sure that number of "experts" would fall in the normal range of standard deviation for that sample size. Where's sample size man?

jakethebake
10-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey, Challenger are you in St. Louis? The Cards are looking good! I just moved from StL. Where do ou play there? Harrah's had just opened its poker room right before I left.

challenger84
10-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Nope, I actually live in Colorado. I'm a lifelong diehard Cards fan though.

jakethebake
10-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I grew up in Houston, but lived in StL the last few years and got to be a Cards fan. I wasn't gonna root for either one but found myself pulling for the Cards. I'm not sure if it's out of habit or what but gotta go with it. Either way I figure I've got someone to pull for in the Series for once.

challenger84
10-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Haha, I don't think it's possible to spend more than a week in St.L and not become a Cards fan. It's like a religion over there.

Daliman
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Agreed. THis brings to mind the "Swami Pastrami" article Arnold Snyder posted in Blackjack Forum years ago. I know it's been printed on the net somewhere, but the jist of it was he told one million of his followers to bet on the number 13 in roulette continously until they were at one million dollars, and like 14 of them made 1 million dollars, thus "proving" his system worked, as the people who didn't win 1 million mostly looked at it as they only lost $100. My Numbers arent exact on final million winners, but you get the point.

STLantny
10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Cards rule, we also have the best fans ever.

Does anyone know of any published material that would aid in "detecting lies". I actually just gave a presentation in my group dynamics class last night, on a chapter about non-verbal communication, and of course I passed around caro's poker tells. But the issue really piqued my curiosity as our group also called people up front and did the old hide the quarter in one hand, and after 2-3 tries I was able to determine a tell on 90% of the participants and reliably guess what hand the quarter was in.....could have been luck though hehe....but my curiousity has definetly got the better of me after reading this post.

jakethebake
10-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Look on amazon.com. Start with Teach Yourself Body Language by Wainright. Lots more links to other books there too.

Lawrence Ng
10-15-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you make the same bluff-raise with rags, you win money from a hand that had no intrinsic value if he folds, and if you get reraised, you just muck your hand.

One huge mistake that many players are prone to making is overplaying drawing hands and either blowing themselves off a good draw or getting all the money in on the flop when there was little fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, same thing goes, put a bunch of monkeys with a bunch of typewriters in a room and eventually they'll write out a work of Shakespheare.