PDA

View Full Version : Which NL Book?

DocMartin
10-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I get a free book and have no idea which one would be better. I play limit right now but wouldnt mind getting into more Tourneys. I have WLLH, TOP, SSH, HEPAP, TPFAP, Inside Poker Mind, Psych. of Poker, Play Poker like Pros.

My Choices..
Championship No-Limit & Pot Limit Hold'em (Cloutier, McEvoy)
No-Limit Texas Hold'em (Daugherty, McEvoy)
Championship Sattelite Strategy (Daugherty, McEvoy)

Thanks in advance.

ipp147
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi Doc,

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say none of them. Honestly.

Even for free!

Does it have to be one of those three? If not then I would buy ciaffone and reubens book and play some NL ring games

slickpoppa
10-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah, there is a real dearth of good NLH books out there. Ciaffone/Reuben is decent, but the holdem section is nowhere near comprehensive. Super/System is good, but it only really describes one style of play (Doyle's). It is also outdated in the sense that many of the opponents you face today will not behave like the 1970s high stakes Texas gamblers that Doyle describes.

JohnG
10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My Choices..
Championship No-Limit & Pot Limit Hold'em (Cloutier, McEvoy)
No-Limit Texas Hold'em (Daugherty, McEvoy)
Championship Sattelite Strategy (Daugherty, McEvoy)

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the above.

Supersystem- Doyle
Pot and no limit poker- Ciaffone
Improve your poker- Ciaffone

DocMartin
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
ok, maybe I should have asked "Which one sucks the least?" or maybe which one is at least the most entertaining read?

jakethebake
10-15-2004, 04:56 PM
My $.02...Feel free to flame. I thought "No-Limit Texas Hold'em (Daugherty, McEvoy)" was a reasonably good beginner book.

jakethebake
10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
I'd argue FOR any of these. Hell they're like $20 books. If you find ONE idea in the 300 pages that wins you ONE bet then you've paid for the book. So you might have to win another 2 bets to pay for the time to read it. I'd argue that nearly any of the books out there has ONE good idea buried someplace in it.

Of course you have to avoid the bad ideas...LOL. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarlSpackler
10-15-2004, 05:30 PM
I've only read Championship No-Limit & Pot Limit Hold'em (Cloutier, McEvoy), and from what I've heard about the other 2 choices, this is the one I recommend getting. I know a lot of posters hate this book, but I have found several useful ideas in it which have helped my game. Make sure you read the pot limit section as well if you get it, because many ideas carry over to NL. I'll give you fair warning: this is not a 2+2 type book. There's not alot of game theory covered. It's more of an overview of Cloutier's and McEvoy's nl/pl strategy.

JohnG
10-16-2004, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, maybe I should have asked "Which one sucks the least?" or maybe which one is at least the most entertaining read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the Cloutier book is pretty entertaining, but not much good otherwise.

I think Mason gave the Daugherty satellite book a decent review on this forum. If that's the case, I'd get the sat book if you're a relative beginner. Search the archives for Mason's review of the 2 dougherty books, and make your decision from that.

andyrogers
10-16-2004, 04:29 PM
bks sck but if its free get da daugh mcvoy 1 but reed it vry criticaly cause some a ther suggestions 4 sertan cituations r rong.

Photoc
10-16-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bks sck but if its free get da daugh mcvoy 1 but reed it vry criticaly cause some a ther suggestions 4 sertan cituations r rong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you just said. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

maurile
10-16-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you just said. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he said he likes the Ciaffone & Reuben book better.

Photoc
10-16-2004, 08:34 PM
I just purchased both the Ciaffone and McEvoy books. I have begun reading Ciaffone's so far.

stags14
10-16-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd argue FOR any of these. Hell they're like $20 books. If you find ONE idea in the 300 pages that wins you ONE bet then you've paid for the book. So you might have to win another 2 bets to pay for the time to read it. I'd argue that nearly any of the books out there has ONE good idea buried someplace in it.

Of course you have to avoid the bad ideas...LOL. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I also think one has to consider the fact that many of your opponents will have read one or more of the books that have been mentioned. Reading and understanding concepts that your opponents may be trying to use against you can be prove to be very valuable.