PDA

View Full Version : Correct to overbet?

04-21-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm very new to NL and curious about a hand I played in .10-.25 NL online.

I'm on the button with AQs. MP limper (stack $20), another MP limper (stack about $11) to me. I raise to $1 (my stack=$23). BB (stack=$19) calls, both limpers call. I figured my raise would thin things a bit, but no luck. Should I have bet more? Less? Why?

Flop is Q 6 4 rainbow. BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $1 into a $4.10 pot. I figure this is the flop I wanted--I really only fear 66 or 44, right? I don't want to play against three players, I'd just as soon take this one now (correct strategy?). So, I raise $5 (the size of the pot). BB and MP1 fold. MP2 calls, leaving him with $4.

Turn is 9 of a different suit. MP2 checks and I put him all in for $4. He calls.

River is a K. He shows K6 and takes it down.

Primarily, I'm wondering about the flop. Should I have overbet the pot here? I can't believe he called a $5 raise with mid pair, so I'm wondering if another $4 would have made any difference? Was I just unlucky, or did I leave the door open somewhere when I should have slammed it shut?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

04-21-2002, 11:29 AM
His call was wrong, so you wanted him to make it.

Would you rather overbet the pot and get him to make a correct fold, or make a bet that he'll incorrectly call?

I promise you your expectation is higher if he makes the incorrect play rather than the correct one.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

04-21-2002, 06:17 PM
You played the hand perfectly and got your money in as a 3:1 favorite while making your opponent pot stuck (and thereby denying him any implied odds). That fact that he hit his 5-outer on the river is completely irrelevant.

> [preflop] Should I have bet more? Less? Why?

With regard to the stacks of your other opponents, I might have made it $1.50 ($1.35 would have been a pot sized bet) preflop to charge those small pairs and suited connectors a bit more (they are always correct to call for 5% of their stack, while 7.5% is often too expensive since they don't have position) - but this is a minor issue and others will disagree.

> Should I have overbet the pot here?

No - your bet size was just perfect: It was enough to make MP2 with his remaining $9 pot-stuck when he calls, but would still allow you to laydown when one of the bigger stacks (i.e. BB or MP1) suddenly check-raises all-in.

cu

Ignatius

04-21-2002, 10:13 PM

04-22-2002, 02:08 AM
"(they are always correct to call for 5% of their stack, while 7.5% is often too expensive since they don't have position)"

I am also fairly new at playing, and have been playing the $.10 - .25 PL tables. I dont know if this statement only applies to NL games, but shouldn't you be looking at the pot odds, rather than comparing your bets to your stack? I could be wrong since I've never played no limit, but I am just wondering. Thanks for any input.

04-22-2002, 03:09 AM
No. In fact, when playing no limit the pot odds are often inconsequential. It's the implied odds in the opponent's stack that matter.

Let's say the pot is $10 and a tight, predictable opponent who can't fold an overpair now raises it to $100. You should call if you have around $1000 or more even though there's only $10 in the pot.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

04-23-2002, 05:38 PM
That your opponent needs to have at least as much money as you do! (I've learned that nothing goes without saying).