PDA

View Full Version : MTT Play after you're in the money

AJay2000
10-14-2004, 02:55 PM
So I've begun playing MTT tourneys on Party, sticking with $5+1 and $20+2. Pretty happy with my results for just beginning, I've cashed in four out of the five by playing TAG like you've all taught me, and just generally putting all my book study and 2+2 study into action. Last night was frustrating though. I had about 20K in checks after I made the money, with only a few people ahead of me, and what do I do? Start trying to push around the table!! What a moron.
In the $5 MTT, I had about 12K in checks, and the chip leader was at about 60K, so again, I start trying to make something happen instead of continuing to play my game and advance up the ladder.
So, I think I have answered my question already by telling myself to stay tight and play my game as long as I can, but when do I start loosening up? When it gets down to the last table? Last three tables?
If I had kept playing the way I had been I truly think I would've made at LEAST the top 50 in each, maybe going farther in the $20. All in all, I really think I've got a shot at winning one of these tourneys sometime soon, just looking to take the next step.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- Jay

Jedi Flopper
10-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Twice in the Pokerroom 10/15K I have played TAG all the way to the final table. One time at the final table I busted out 3 people on the same hand (my Str. vs 2 sets and 2 pair) and ended up with 640K in chips. The rest of the table (4 others) had less than 400K. I shifted into LAG and ended up coming in 3rd /images/graemlins/frown.gif The other time I was the chip leader, shifted into LAG and finished 7th. I guess the moral of the story is tight is right. At least that is what I will do the next time I am in the situation.

I could really kick myself for throwing away all those chips...

AJay2000
10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Jedi-
Thanks for the response. That's pretty much what I was going to try in my next tourney. "Tight is right" seems like an awesome motto, I think you should have it trademarked!
The times in which I get confused are when I see Raymer, even before he had his big chip stack at the final couple tables, and how aggressive he gets. I think I should remember that the hands they show are a small percentage of the hands that are played.
Wish me luck!

-Jay

fnord_too
10-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Right after you make the money tighten up. Play looser on the bubble if you can afford it, because most others will be playing really tight trying to get into the money (this is a great spot to be a buly and steal lots of blinds, just back off when you meet resistance). Right after the bubble, everyone loosens up, and you will not be able to bully very effectively, though you will be able to get good value out of your made hands.

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Congrats on the early successes. Realize in advance that these are not sustainable, and you'll be doing well.

Anyway, your post has a few different ideas I'll respond to, regarding how I approach situations after making the money.

When you're a big stack: You mention trying to "push people around", and that strategy not working out. What you need to remember, is that you have to be careful when taking on small stacks in this regard, without a decent hand. Many small stacks now that they've made the money, are more willing to gamble with their decent hands, and if you're calling all-in bets, or putting them all-in after they raise, remember that you're giving them a chance to double up off of you. As a big stack you do have to stay aggressive, but remember that the other players at the table are waiting for a chance for you to double them up, and they're going to be more likely to play back at you than they would have been before the bubble.

As a smaller stack: This comes down to what your tournament goal is. Do you want to win? Or is moving up a small amount in the money important? If it's the latter, then you can sit back and wait for premium hands, while other smaller stacks bust out. But if you want to win, you need to stay aggressive with hands that you feel are +EV - period. If you have an edge, you need to push it at that point. This makes for some tough decisions, but you'll need to win some coinflips to win most likely, and you have to pick the spots where you think you're ahead.

davidross
10-14-2004, 04:02 PM
First of all, we need to define loosening up. THis doesn't mean any 2 will do, and it doesn't mean playing every hand. TO me it means hands that I would normally play from the button only, I might play from 3 off the button. Or a hand that I would limp behind another limper, I will now raise.

Loosening up with any sized stack as you approach the bubble is generally a godd strategy, since the table as a whole will be tightening up. THis will allow you to steal blinds, or maybe pots post flop. It doesn't mean you will have a chance to double up in one shot, because if someone plays back at you he really has something. Playing more hands from late position is a good idea if you can get in cheap, because you can generally win the pot with a small flop bet if everyone misses.

Tighten up after the bubble, because usually the money goes up very slowly from there until the final table, and people start gambling again. If you can afford to wait a few orbits, only play premium hands, you have a great chance to double up at this point. Loosen up again as you approach the final table, because again, everyone else is getting tight, not wanting to go out at this point.

Understand that playing this way will knock you out on the bubble more often than someone who plays tight, but you will also get into the money with a healthier stack much more often.

WHen you have a big stack you can loosen up, just don't be stupid about it. Again see more flops in late position, or raise limpers more often, don't get crazy in EP and don't mess with pre-flop raisers. Remember they are afraid of being busted by you, so they probably have a hand if they come after you. You will be able to pick up small pots like this, and in the best case scenario, when someone finally decides to take a stand against you, you will actually have a hand yourself. Picking up the blinds once every 2 orbits, that you might not otherwise have won will help keep your stack very strong. DOn't be greedy, just look for spots where someone who doesn't want to bust out will lay down to you in most cases.